Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 24, 2011, 18:05
Re: oops..
Feb 24, 2011, 10:59
stray wrote:
Heh, anyway, for these reasons and many others I prefer a black flag these days, but I'm not opposed to it containing a touch of red IYKWIM.

I do. I do. It's a logcal position to take for people of a certain age. I refuse to be characterised as a bitter and disappointed old lefty too! Without wanting to risk an anti-humanist backlash ;-), the more grotesque and cartoon-like failures under a redish flag don't alter the broad basic righteous premise that attracted most people to the left in the first place.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Re: Bernie Ecclestone - Uber twat!
Feb 24, 2011, 22:42
Love Williams, I reckon that back in 2002 it was costing them near to 200 million to go racing (Ferrari were at their most ridiculous around this period with a budget in the region of 360 million). Unlike the big firms old Frank has always had to go out hunting for sponsorship with a bit more intensity than the other small teams because his is a very big small team or a very small big team (certainly in comparison with Mclaren [who'd just moved factory's to their super fuck off high tech yin yang design mothership and thus comfortably slipped into the big league], B.A.R and Jaguar [Fords millions]). Thing is with a history like Williams have they've got to produce and back then to even be able to stick your car at the front of the mid table and hope for the odd podium you had to spunk at least 180 mill'. All their budget came/comes (except for this years pay to drive driver Pastor Maldonado) from advertising on their cars so maybe what we might think of as a team losing it's direction and competitiveness was infact a team going like stink just to retain its front of the mid pack position.

but you already know all this so why am i waffling again???

Wow, working at Williams. fucking awesome.
Mart
Mart
214 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 00:05
Whoa ! and i thought it was all about money laundering
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 00:13
Shelby Mustang wrote:
Love Williams, I reckon that back in 2002 it was costing them near to 200 million to go racing (Ferrari were at their most ridiculous around this period with a budget in the region of 360 million). Unlike the big firms old Frank has always had to go out hunting for sponsorship with a bit more intensity than the other small teams because his is a very big small team or a very small big team (certainly in comparison with Mclaren [who'd just moved factory's to their super fuck off high tech yin yang design mothership and thus comfortably slipped into the big league], B.A.R and Jaguar [Fords millions]). Thing is with a history like Williams have they've got to produce and back then to even be able to stick your car at the front of the mid table and hope for the odd podium you had to spunk at least 180 mill'. All their budget came/comes (except for this years pay to drive driver Pastor Maldonado) from advertising on their cars so maybe what we might think of as a team losing it's direction and competitiveness was infact a team going like stink just to retain its front of the mid pack position.

but you already know all this so why am i waffling again???

I have always had the highest regard for Frank Williams, I recall when his wife found very late in the day, that he was knighted, Frank simply shrugged that he simply did not think it was that important, I'm sure she was annoyed but I would like to think Sir Frank was devoting every fibre to the team. I'm sad that Damon Hill could not stay with the team as glory is better than money - I'm making a very big assumption this was the case.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 08:49
Shelby Mustang wrote:

You know what Shelby? I turned it down (I acually was offered it)cos I got 20k a year more working freelance at Nissan up in Cranfield modelling fucking interior door handles for Primeras and shit. I lasted less than a year before I had to bail out. My last job in Automotive.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 22:45
Damon's manager demanded too much for Damon's services. frank has never paid drivers footballers levels of money and he got rid of mansell for the same reason some years before, even Senna drove for them for virtually nothing.
Stoopid greedhead manager with little foresight.
Having said that, like Button Hill made blinkin' hard work of it though and to be honest with Jacques Villeneuve gagging for a shot at the World Championship and Heinz Harald Frentzen who was hugely touted to be a contender in the coming seasons (didn't happen. 1 good season maketh not the man) more than willing to take the other seat then why should he be barracked by some flash fuck in a suit.
Plus Villeneuve won the 97 title anyway so fair play to the man.

Dread the thoughts of their being no williams. they've had some lean years and some right bloody average cars and some right bloody average engine suppliers and maybe Patrick Head should be looking at handing over the reigns because the days of taking the car out in january and finding it one and a half seconds quicker than the competition are long gone.

I'd willingly eat my knackered old wool hat i got from Avebury if i was proved wrong though
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Feb 25, 2011, 22:51
could've ended up doing auto cad in Italy for the prancing horse. tons of brit engineers work at Maranello.

you'd have to say yes to that surely!
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Feb 26, 2011, 02:02
Heightist discrimination! Lets hope Bernie's lawyers aren't following this thread..or yo' ass is well and truly going to get sued!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 09:04
Shelby Mustang wrote:
could've ended up doing auto cad in Italy for the prancing horse. tons of brit engineers work at Maranello.

you'd have to say yes to that surely!

Funnily enough...

I worked at Pininfarina in Turin (hence the moniker) for a couple of years, working on a Jag of all things, the X-Type Estate. Styled in Cov, engineered in Cambiano. The roof? That's me. Plus some other bits like the rear inner wheel-arch. I knew Ken Okuyama pretty well, he was the Chief Designer at Pininfarina at the time. Pininfarina have done virtually all the designing of Ferraris I think. He designed the Rossa Concept Car and a production Ferrari or two.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Feb 28, 2011, 20:53
wow. impressed. And there's me thinking Ford Torino!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index