Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Just heard on the radio...
Sep 30, 2009, 16:59
handofdave wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
One thing that might help the situation here might be reducing alcohol prices in pubs. That would encourage the more social types of drinking, where supervision can be provided by landlords.

There you go... that's a good idea. At least if people are in a pub there's someone there to make sure they don't get overserved.

It is a good idea, but it's never going to happen because the government here aren't really interested in the health issue, they just want the cash.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 30, 2009, 17:00
Squid Tempest wrote:
handofdave wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
One thing that might help the situation here might be reducing alcohol prices in pubs. That would encourage the more social types of drinking, where supervision can be provided by landlords.

There you go... that's a good idea. At least if people are in a pub there's someone there to make sure they don't get overserved.

It is a good idea, but it's never going to happen because the government here aren't really interested in the health issue, they just want the cash.

Bingo!
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Sep 30, 2009, 17:00
Well, we all do it (decry social evils).... of course, the rich and their callow manipulations of the markets to their advantage don't see THEMSELVES as evil, they see themselves as looking out for their own interests (and tend to have infinite capacity for rationalizing why their actions are justified... as illustrated by guys like GiantLeech).

Addiction is a social evil. I'm not saying that the addictED are evil... I'm saying that their dependency is an evil that affects them negatively.

That goes for everyone, rich and poor... but it hits the poor much, much harder.
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Sep 30, 2009, 17:01
handofdave wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Well, they can try har har har!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 30, 2009, 17:07
FOMouse wrote:
handofdave wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

I assume that you'd be in favour of my other idea; make drink and food free in pubs, but only if you leave the pub sober. This would remove all social ills due to the evil alcohol from the sainted streets of Albion. They might have to build bigger pubs though.
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Sep 30, 2009, 17:11
Squid Tempest wrote:
FOMouse wrote:
handofdave wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

I assume that you'd be in favour of my other idea; make drink and food free in pubs, but only if you leave the pub sober. This would remove all social ills due to the evil alcohol from the sainted streets of Albion. They might have to build bigger pubs though.

I''d be up for that! I'd probably never have to leave. Until they ran out of stuff maybe. Then I'd just go somewhere else.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 30, 2009, 17:20
FOMouse wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
FOMouse wrote:
handofdave wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

I''d be up for that! I'd probably never have to leave. Until they ran out of stuff maybe. Then I'd just go somewhere else.

Would also reduce homelessness. And provide the poor with sustenance. And create jobs in the catering industry.

I should be Prime Minister.
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Sep 30, 2009, 17:26
Squid Tempest wrote:
FOMouse wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
FOMouse wrote:
handofdave wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Would also reduce homelessness. And provide the poor with sustenance. And create jobs in the catering industry.

I should be Prime Minister.

You can be when I'm crowned Emperor of The Universe. I hate paperwork!

fnff
duckbreath
254 posts

Edited Sep 30, 2009, 18:50
Sep 30, 2009, 18:43
Your views seems crazy to me - the evidence suggests hundreds of lives, in the most deprived parts of the country, will be saved by this - what are they supposed to do?
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2009/09/28081626

The government has said it wants to bring down the alcohol-death rate which is six times the national average and puts Scotland in a bad light every time it is repeated in the papers and on tv. The government is obvioulsy desperate to lose the sick man of europe image. I don't think the libertarian and social conspiracy arguments will be taken very seriously, or hold much water in this case.
duckbreath
254 posts

Sep 30, 2009, 18:49
But you have -chosen- to believe this is a judgment on poor people and against the underclass and that the health minister is lying when she talks about trying to reduce health inequality in the long term. If she is lying and if this is really about power elites consolidating their power over their underclass then it truly is repellent but this is a v extreme view of what has happened in this case in my view.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index