9 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Aug 26, 2008, 16:29
Re: What's Joe Biden like?
Aug 26, 2008, 16:27
I thought he was selected so he could attack the republicans (something Biden is very, very good at) while Obama gets to keep his image clean. I didn't consider the race thing. Anyway, its all a bit odd to us non-US that the other name on the ticket is that important as the VP doesn't have any powers at all, unless Obama dies of course. Although, yeah, there does seem to be a worryingly large amount of US liberals convinced that Obama will get assassinated.

What bugs me about the Obama campaign thus far is it's drift towards the middle ground away from its original platform. Of course, it was (as all democratic policy) hardly left wing by out of US standards, but it was carrying a lot of the more of what are considered the extreme left wing voters than usual for a democratic candidacy. Now they're pissed, particularly by the FISA vote. Didnt Biden vote against that ?

Theres a myth in world politics about the 'third way' that cites the success of the UK labour party as its example. This is bollocks, the reason Labour won and have held power for so long is primarily a result of the Tory party becoming completely fucking insane and totally unelectable. The fact that the two parties here are becoming indistinguishable will pretty much guarantee that the Tories have more than a good shout of winning next time round.

Whereas our left wing voters are more than likely going to still vote for the lesser evil, the impression I get of the activist left wing voters in the US is that they'll protect their principals over all other things and vote for some completely unelectable independant rather than sacrificing their beliefs for Obama. Obviously I'm no expert, if my analysis is totally wrong please correct me.

U-Know! Forum Index