Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Where do carbon dioxide & nitrous oxide come from?

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Jul 23, 2008, 21:49
Re: Where do carbon dioxide & nitrous oxide come from?
Jul 23, 2008, 21:02
Is Nitrous Oxide (that's N2O, not Nitrogen Dioxide, NO2) made using the by-products of other processes, by-products that would otherwise be vented into the atmosphere? Or are the feedstocks specifically created for N2O production?

I've just re-written your last post in my own words, so that we are certain I know exactly what you're looking for. So is the above question correct?

I've posted this question on a couple of forums that I frequent. If anyone comes up with anything I will let you know.

Edit:

Some bits and pieces...

N2O production appears to be something that occurs naturally in the soil.

N2O is itself a by-product of nitric acid production, and something that HNO3 producers have to spend a lot of time and effort in curtailing.

http://www.climatetechnology.gov/library/2005/tech-options/tor2005-441-442.pdf

Presumably some of that waste N2O is not catalysed into other things, but captured.

Still looking...

A guy called Fin Reiska wrote:
> or by the direct oxidisation of ammonia

This is (among other methods) used in industrially producing nitric acid, and in that process N2O is a by-product. I think it is not collected, as purifying it would not maybe be that profitable.

I still think Airgas is producing N20, in facilities specially designed for nitrous oxide production, so not as by-product.

Fin Reiska is not an industrial chemist by his own admission, so I can't provide a cast iron reference yet.

U-Know! Forum Index