Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Smarter power grids
May 17, 2008, 12:52
Sounds complicated but effective.
It's a long way from the days (which were not long ago) when companies would leave their computers running 24/7, screensavers dithering away to empty rooms.

I imagine there must be some practical way to capture the heat from a busy server and use it, rather than fight it with AC.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

May 17, 2008, 15:05
handofdave wrote:
I imagine there must be some practical way to capture the heat from a busy server and use it, rather than fight it with AC.

Indeed. I remember reading an article about some supercomputer network being installed in one of the big universities in America, and how the hot air generated was being used to heat the entire campus. I imagine as energy prices continue to rise we're going to see a lot more of this kind of thing.
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

May 17, 2008, 15:44
They ought to do some sort of heat exchanger thing. Easier to stick with utilising the heat, more efficient init! I imagine there would be some unit on the industrial estate, where the two "lights-out" datacentres we have are, that could use the heat
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited May 17, 2008, 17:47
May 17, 2008, 17:46
Hell right now I'm an office cleaner, and I've seen computers still left on, not to mention people not using their blue boxes for recycled paper. Not to mention I've had to put away mountains of thick stacks of chlorine-bleached paper on the job!
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

May 18, 2008, 10:48
I leave my computer on, not the screen mind you. Have to dial in from home and remote onto office computer, and then onto all the sites where we work remotely. The wfh saves a lot of petrol though, 200 miles every day I wfh instead of the office. Problem is the isolation, some days I don't have a conversation with another human being from 9am til 5pm, it's all MSN and emails, bloody miserable sometimes.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

May 19, 2008, 16:57
The missus is well, ron.

I trust that you & Mrs. ron remain loved up and lovely.

Polite.

x
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index