Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
The BNP (the title options were too numerous)

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 04, 2008, 09:32
Re: The BNP (the title options were too numerous)
May 04, 2008, 09:24
Political correctness like say the anti-capital punishment lobby are in serious danger of being reduced to liberal myths. Largely because of the Labour party's inability to manage their own programme and the fact that they simply can't resist reducing people to statistics and meddling with what they see as the inner workings of society while the lot of the individual gets lost in the spreadsheets and pie charts.

Given to open vote I am not sure we could rely on the majority to protect basic liberties that we now take for granted - that race, religion, gender and what goes on behind the bedroom door should be no hinderance to access to housing, health, education, work and to the politcal process itself.

I have no faith in the political process. I have no faith in people's ability to absorb blame for their own greed and their own screw ups. So when the shit hits the lower middle class home counties housing fan you can be sure the far right will be there with a hate tract and hanky.

In a time of global financial meltdown and given over to the impulses and prejudices of the majority we're probably all fucked. When the consumerist dream boat hits the rocks there be monsters.

The Labour party's last hope is to grasp the nettle of middle cless debt relief and provide solid guarantees against reposession. That would win them the election in one step.

JG Ballard can be something of an alarmist but his depiction of an England that is reduced to a combination of the boredom of the well-off, "white flight" dissatisfaction, the widespread appeal of violence as recreation and general spiritual impoverishment rings truer by the month.

To quote one of the 20th century's lesser philosophers, "I've met the man on the street and he's a ****"

Priceless Sid. Priceless.

U-Know! Forum Index