34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: The return of Uncle Osama
Sep 13, 2007, 18:52
shanshee_allures wrote:
I can't think of one single war fought in the name of all out atheism, we've certainly got one up on them there. People don't abuse one another in the name of atheism, nothing bad or particularly good either happens.Why that doesn't appeal to everyone beats me.

?
Very few wars have been fought for religion, actually. Wars are fought over resources, territory, political control, etc. and they are ALWAYS started by the wealthy.
The warring parties may invoke God in their fight, and claim 'Gott Mitt Uns', but that's merely a propaganda tool.

shanshee_allures wrote:
I think religion must be man made, don't think it came with the oxygen!
Anyway cheers for the debate, off to watch a massive looming rainstorm now!

I don't think religion was 'invented'. I think it emerged from nature. Just like human colonies and anthills have their similar structural organizations.. pack animal behavior requires a 'top dog' to maintain social cohesion and order. This led to the idea that there is a top-top dog who is beyond human frailty (and what a convenient concept if you are seen as being the intermediary). The earliest animist religions correctly interpreted life as being infused with a spirit, but then humans made the mistake (in my opinion) of granting special power to a priest caste during the rise of the earliest city-states.
Of course, nowadays, religions ARE invented- but only to take advantage of some primal need that so many seem to have for it.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index