Capital punishment

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Capital punishment
Feb 02, 2004, 14:59
Reading down this thread I assumed your first response was tongue-in-cheek, but reading further shows you do believe you can justify capital punishment for people who lead murderous regimes.

Your argument is totally flawed though. Putting someone like Pinochet to death is not a preventative measure, as he's already done his worst. This means the only reason for killing him would be retribution. What does that solve? It brings no-one back and just helps re-ignite the hatred. It would lead to revenge killings too (violence breeding violence). Also, it would be a state-sponsored murder. How is that different from Pinochet's brand of state-sponsored murder? Who decides which heads of state would be eligible for this punishment? I'm sure muslim states would have a very different list to yours. Don't you think implementing such a policy would start yet more wars resulting in the murders of many thousands more people?

Really, your argument is riddled with holes, Lawrence. I would love to see these people bought before international courts to justify their actions and be held accountable for what they've done (including people like Margaret Thatcher), but I don't believe ANY court should have the power to sentence people to death. For me there are no grey areas. State-sponsored murder is wrong, wherever and whoever it is.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index