Wot now?

8 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: Wot now?
Dec 12, 2002, 18:04
Thanks for the feedback Telepathine. I'll try and answer some of your questions.

> Dunno where you are...

West Wales, near the hamlet of Llwernog on the A44.

> ...it could be a number of thinks...gatepost, cattle rubbing post...

Too small I'd have thought. The bit I can get at is only 1.3 metres long. That's small for a standing stone, but not unprecedented.

> ...or maybe just a stone (are there a lot of largeish stones 'scattered' in your region?)

Not really many scattered stones around these parts, and in this specific area there are none. There's a small rocky outcrop a way off from this stone, but it looks quite different to the stone itself. The outcrop is all jagged with near vertical strata, but this little stone is very smooth and weather worn.

> ...maybe it's just a glacial deposition...

It could be. I don't know much about glaciation.

>...or part of some past quarrying or part of an old wall, farm building, cattle trough...

No quarries in the immediate vicinity, or remnants of walls.

> ...you just gotta do some research man!

I'll take a look at the old OS map and see whether there are any old boundaries running nearby. Apart from that, I'm not sure where to look. This area has been very rural for a very long time, and people haven't tended to write much down. There's some oral tradition relating to the larger sites, but if this was a standing stone (gatepost or whatever) it wouldn't have attracted much attention, especially if it fell in antiquity.

Perhaps I'll post a photo of the stone up so that you can get an idea what I'm on about.

Cheers,

Kammer x

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index