15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Apr 13, 2018, 10:04
Re: Stone circle layouts?
Apr 12, 2018, 21:57
thesweetcheat wrote:
Can you get decent enough resolution now to show stones 'n that?

I've been messing about with Lidar data sets and QGIS recently. Unlike down south the data coverage for Scotland is limited. Mainly areas with flood risk as it was commissioned by/for SEPA.

The few hillforts I've come across look OK but stone circles are tricky due to either resolution or me being rubbish at it.

juamei - it will be great to see how you get on with QGIS. Do you have access to different resolution data sets? I wonder if they are better quality than the ones up here?

I've upload a quick image of 4 sites to give an idea of the resolution of stones from circles I'm getting. There's probably better out there as I'm a bit clueless with these sort of things.

https://500px.com/photo/253366711/lidar-by-spaceways

Bottom left - Loudon Wood RSC - Just make out a few stones and circle shape in the clearing.

Top Left - Aikey Brae RSC - Not bad at all. You can see stones and the recumbent.

Top Right - Clava Cairns - You can see the stones round the bottom of the NE cairn best

Bottom Right - A Hillfort - Just added to show probably what Lidar is best for. any guesses which one (clue - it's in southern Scotland)?

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index