Avebury

16 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CR
29 posts

Re: Avebury
Mar 25, 2018, 11:06
I agree with much of your sentiments - and wish it to be otherwise /:

however the facts are that sources of funding are being cut, Sites and Organizations are being forced to required to show income, and things like 'apps' attract private finance.

The National Planning Policy Frame Work, for example, now stipulates that an 'assets' significance be considered (among other things) in terms its ability to generate its own revenue.

Maybe this can be reasonably argued for some sites and buildings > I would argue that Avebury is not one: however who will now pay for protection and proactive works at Avebury?, eg turf and surface protection...and the various other infrastructure to enable visits by XXXX number of people in XXXX years into the future ....?

Properly funded tour guides (eg actual staff on site) would be much much better than any kind of 'visitor app'.

I would like to see public money supporting these Monuments and Public Enjoyment of them > but that funding has/is being pulled away :(

In that context, the refusal to allow internet-upgrades to the Village of Avebury (with virtually zero impacts except an aerial on the church-tower) is vastly Short Sighted by Wiltshire CC..

....that is the same Wiltshire CC who are about to allow the Stonehenge Tunnel, part of what could become one of the most exclusive/expensive 'Heritage Visitor Attractions' in the whole country !!!

:o

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index