Teenage builders

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
747 posts

Edited Feb 28, 2017, 18:06
Re: Teenage builders
Feb 28, 2017, 17:19
Ok you lot. I'm dazzled by this discussion. Being a lay person & believing what I've read about Neolithic life expectancy I was happily fantasising about the building during those times being, of necessity "youth", as we perceive it, orientated. Not necessarily directed, but orientated. I remain, quite obviously ignorant. It's just that I was trying to to think about life expectancy now & transpose that to those times. Of course, that is ultimately impossible, but the profound nature of these places sends my mind a spinning..
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 18:10
carol27 wrote:
I was happily fantasising about the building during those times being, of necessity "youth", as we perceive it, orientated. Not necessarily directed, but orientated.

I think it probably was. Seems reasonable to me anyway.

When they weren't smoking behind the dolmens.
carol27
747 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 20:09
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
carol27 wrote:
I was happily fantasising about the building during those times being, of necessity "youth", as we perceive it, orientated. Not necessarily directed, but orientated.

Smoking behind the dolmens,I wish.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 20:23
'Gran in the comfy chair' was probably an extreme rarity. Google 'cannibalism in the Neolithic' while you're at it. An 'other' time.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 20:31
Do not discount the possibility that some stones may have been erected because there was a 'certain type of mushroom' in the vicinity, the consumption of which produced 'magical' consequences at a place. They are not here to ask, and nothing can be ruled out. When was the first law, hence illegality or taboo? We simply do not know.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 21:08
carol27 wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
carol27 wrote:

Smoking behind the dolmens,I wish.

In them is probably even better!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 21:30
spencer wrote:
Do not discount the possibility that some stones may have been erected because there was a 'certain type of mushroom' in the vicinity, the consumption of which produced 'magical' consequences at a place. They are not here to ask, and nothing can be ruled out. When was the first law, hence illegality or taboo? We simply do not know.

If nothing can be ruled out because we can't ask, then the negation of any possibility is equally applicable . i.e .do not discount the possibility that the stones were erected because of the absence of certain types of mushroom ,or , do not discount the possibility that the stones were not erected in some areas due to the presence of certain types of mushroom , or, do not rule out the possibility that the presence or otherwise of certain types of mushroom had no influence at all of the choice of site where stones were erected .

Open season does not get us very far without some support for the possibilities .
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 21:37
I'm all in favour of free thinking, and you're free to disagree too.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 21:38
Don't tell them Pike!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 21:47
spencer wrote:
Don't tell them Pike!

Sorry, not sure what this is referring to?

Do like a bit of Dad's Army though.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index