14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Ancient Tree Hunt
Dec 19, 2016, 18:18
thelonious wrote:
Thanks for the link TSC. Lovely site. I'm reading Gossip from the forest (http://tinyurl.com/j8lmgtk) at the moment so fits nicely with that as I'm thinking trees at the moment.

Yes, thanks tsc. Always good to talk about trees. Thelonious, I have Gossip from the Forest - sub-titled "the Tangles Roots of our Forest and Fairytales". A lovely book.

On trees, just wanted to say I live in car dominated town that has seen the M4 being built a stones throw from Richard Jefferies home (see other post). More recently green fields have been swallowed up by housing developments, retail parks and yet more roads. But I've noticed the developers often leave the old oaks standing - as I move around mostly on foot along paths and short-cuts I know where many of them are. Spotted another one today with its amazing bare branches reaching up into the sky and thought there also is a lost hedgerow or lane. Ancient trees are silent witnesses to what has been lost and sadly cannot be replaced by simply replanting.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index