Ancient Tree Hunt

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: Ancient Tree Hunt - Sense of Place
Dec 19, 2016, 19:15
Thanks Moss, was looking at Smell of Water the other night, and saw that field recording mentioned. The site is something to do with Fitzcoraldo (of this parish), not sure if Fitz's the main protagonist as he doesn't use that name there if so.

This and tjj's post about RJ, and dog in fog's blackbirds definitely strike a chord. My teenage self would've scoffed ("spending warm summer days indoors", indeed) but my Dad would have approved, smugly. I think I get closer to his view of the outdoors with each passing year.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: Ancient Tree Hunt
Dec 19, 2016, 19:21
One thing that interests me about very old trees is that, unlike say a stone circle or cairn that was obviously deliberately placed, they are even more enigmatic in their place in the world.

Venerable yews are often found in "sacred" places, which suggests a degree of deliberate intent. But how many of these 100s or 1000s of years old trees are just lucky survivors? Maybe they were self-seeded from bird droppings! Maybe they are the last of a vast forest, and we celebrate them like the Last Tommy or the last Titanic survivor, because they have survived while others of their kind did not.

When the yew at Llangernyw (for example) was a young tree, was it venerated because it had been deliberately grown, or did the veneration come with longevity? It predates the churchyard that surrounds it...
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Meetings With Remarkable Trees
Dec 19, 2016, 20:57
Just checked, and there are a few long clips from the Beeb series based on the book by Thomas Pakenham, which I have, up on Youtube, but not, I think the series itself. Ta for the original topic 'n link, SC.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Meetings With Remarkable Trees
Dec 20, 2016, 09:16
There is also a series of essays by Fiona Stafford on BBC3, which I bookmarked, trouble is there is not enough time in the day for everything.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p8szx
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index