194 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jan 06, 2017, 15:07
Re: Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets Of Orkney
Jan 06, 2017, 15:02
[quote="tiompan"]Totally disagree Moss .Greater understanding is more likely to lead to greater appreciation .What was previously considered mundane or dismissed , from members of our own species to all other species , from large monuments to the piece of bone in a cist ,to the dirt around the cist , all now more generally given a respect unthinkable even a few decades ago ."

Well I knew we would disagree, and no I am not standing in the way of education though it has a lot to answer for...... the truth of the matter is that we only take a little of the picture from the archaeological ground, the essential life and spirit is dead, and we fill in the corners with speculation.

Subjectively I would be delighted to see a comet, and how many people through the ages will also have taken pure delight and awe in the stars and comets. I truthfully don't see any other person as different from myself. Anyway my favourite poem on Stonehenge which to me sums up the mess we seem to find ourselves in when we come to interpretation of these enigmatic stones Stonehenge which actually has the 'wow' factor though severely disrupted by all those 'educated' people ;)

A Game of Henge - Stonehenge

Phillip Gross

A game of Henge, my masters?
The pieces are set. We lost the box
with instructions years ago.

Do you see Hangman? Or
Clock Patience? Building bricks
the gods grew out of? Dominoes?

It's your move. You're in the ring
of the hills, of the stones, of the walls
of your skull. You want to go?

You want out? Good - that's