tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Edited May 18, 2016, 12:55
Re: John Michell lecture
May 18, 2016, 12:53
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Hi George,

If I want to find where the sun will rise from an ancient monument on any given date, what calculations do I have to do to find the angle of the Suns path and that locations horizon height etc? I'm not at the site, but want to do it remotely.

Could you explain the process?

Certainly .
I can send you the details ,as long as you promise not to tell Cerrig .
I'll also append an example that you can check to see how accurate it is .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

May 18, 2016, 12:55
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Hi George,

If I want to find where the sun will rise from an ancient monument on any given date, what calculations do I have to do to find the angle of the Suns path and that locations horizon height etc? I'm not at the site, but want to do it remotely.

Certainly .

lol.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 18, 2016, 12:58
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Hi George,

Certainly .

lol.

Tell me the site , make it one that has never had a survey and I'll do the business .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 18, 2016, 13:00
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Hi George,

Certainly .

lol.

Tell me the site , make it one that has never had a survey and I'll do the business .

This could also double as one of the 4 to 10 sites .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Edited May 18, 2016, 13:04
May 18, 2016, 13:03
Although not astro this is an example of "data" from C.
"“It may be a coincidence, but if you multiply the height of maen llia(12.6ft) by 38, it comes out at the same as the height of the great pyramid at giza.(480FT)The angle of the north facing slope of maen llia is 38 degrees."

This is what causes the hurt and inferiority complex , and is the basis for fabricating nonsense.
"As is so often found with the pseudo metrologists they happily mix and match different types of measure from different periods and cultures to produce something that magically conforms with yet another value from a completely different culture , and never asking whether it makes any sense to include the different types of measure in the same equation .
In this case you multiply feet (was that the measure used by the erectors of ML?) by degrees (did the erectors also use a sexagesimal system too ) to arrive at a value related to the height of the Great Pyramid . And after all the mathematical and logical contortions , it’s still wrong . 12.6 x 38 does not = 480 (fwiw it’s 478 .8 ) . Further we don’t know the original height of the GP , although it is believed that it was 480 .6 ft . More to the point , the suggestion that there might be a “mathematical “ connection between a standing stone in Wales with the GP makes the math and logic problems seem negligible .
"
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

May 18, 2016, 13:25
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Hi George,

Certainly .

lol.

Meacombe burial chamber, Devon.

Doubt anybody has had a proper look at it.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 18, 2016, 13:25
cerrig wrote:

including your method for finding the horizon altitude, remotely. This is not a particularly difficult equation. There are various factors to take into account, but you have a 2 degree tolerance so that should allow for the refraction issue.

This indicates how much at sea you are and a misunderstanding of the basic teminology .
The altitude does include refraction .i.e. the altitude is apparent alt. - refraction
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 18, 2016, 16:01
But Tiompan have you no compassion? That's like shooting fish in a barrel. If Cerrig did write that in a serious fashion, it suggests a deep lack of interest in logic (how could someone erecting a stone in prehistoric Wales know, or indeed care about a pyramid in Egypt, before we even begin on the unlikely use of degrees...) or a wholly different (magical?) way of looking at the world (presumably that somehow, there's some important, meaningful and direct connection between stone circles in Wales and pyramids in Egypt, I can't even begin to imagine how, but presumably involving vibes and ether, I'm not trying to be funny).

So doesn't that make all the to-ing and fro-ing about methods of measuring sunsets and suchlike fade into the background, it being based on logic and science and mathematics? Can the two of you have any common ground? I suspect no, judging by the above. But if you did have, that would be interesting...
cerrig
187 posts

May 18, 2016, 16:15
Really George, posting up the contents of private emails, from how many years ago? This is a new low, even for a slippery snake like you.

Okay butty, enough now. You have evaded this for long enough. I get that you are never going to divulge your method, as though it's some kind of deep secret. That fact is very evident, and it's a mystery to a growing band of people. I wonder why?

You can keep your method, Andy Norfolk was gracious enough to post one on this thread, as proof of his figures. Something that is presumably beneath you. Just give your answer, with some proof of how you came by it. We wouldn't want you accused of a lucky guess, now would we?

Tomorrow, at midday, I will post the grid reference. You have one hour to post the answer. No more. I don't want someone popping along and measuring it for you, so there won't be enough time for that. One hour, then I will post the real figures, and I'll give you details of where to send your money.

Get out of that one (I'm confident you will try)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 18, 2016, 17:26
It wasn't an e mail .

see . http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=53383&message=665453

Another error from the catalogue .

Why is it that you can't respond to questions ?
Yet expect me to tell you something .

You have continually evaded them from R's requests to the more recent ones that show up the problems with your logic .
As well as the evasions people have also seen that you don't understand simple english .
How many times do you need telling about how I have told people about the various methods that are all vailable on the web and in the literature .
ED hasjust received the details , as will anyone else .You won't .

If you can manage to answer one question try this one .

What makes you think I should tell you anything ?

You were given a challenge 6 days ago you evaded that .

Now there is an opportunity to broaden that and prove your lying claims but you will evade that too .

You won't put your money where your mouth is will you ?
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 127 28 29 30 31 32 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index