tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Dec 01, 2015, 23:01
Re: The darkest time of year ...
Dec 01, 2015, 22:59
GLADMAN wrote:
tjj wrote:
Its that time of year again - the only way to get through the darkest time of year to Imbolc is to plan or, at least think about, next year's little adventure. Am dreaming about Donegal in the north of Ireland.
Any recommendations of where to stay, preferably a small town or village as a base, would be appreciated. And essential not-to-be-missed sites.

We actually stayed just outside Donegal town itself, a B&B Lodge named The Gap Lodge on the N15. Wasn't going to win prizes for chocolate box-ness, but no complaints at all... of course we were there to see stuff.

If you've a car you'd obviously be just above Sligo so might be difficult to resist the awesome [[Knocknarea]], or come to that, [[Carrowkeel]] and [[Creevykeel]]

If not favourite Donegal sites were:

[[Beltany]]
[[Cloghanmore]]
[[Malin More]].... just the six dolmens in a line
[[Croaghbeg]] and [[Shalwy]]
and the magnificent [[Kilclooney More]] portal

Many thanks Gladman, still very much at 'research' stage and won't be fixing anything until well into the new year. If I do go it will be with my friend who used to live in Northern Ireland and who knows Donegal quite well. Friend says west coast is the place to head for (and Sligo) - does have car. I also have a good friend who lives in Derry so would like to drop by if at all possible. I'm going to make a note of the sites you've mentioned and much appreciate you taking the time to answer my post.
Thanks again
TJJ (June)
PS: Things don't seem quite so gloomy today - I don't do wall to wall wind and rain too well.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index