Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Apr 12, 2015, 13:32
Re: Rural British strangeness in books, music + films
Apr 12, 2015, 13:30
thesweetcheat wrote:
There's an emerging thing of semi-rural writings, focussing on landscapes of pylons,deserted b-roads and abandoned railway lines. I think the term "edgeland" has been coined for it.

Here's one website (the creator is an occasional TMA contributor):

http://landscapism.blogspot.co.uk/

And another, illustrations on a similar theme:

https://maximpetergriffin.wordpress.com/

Eddie Procter (Landscapism) is a great collector. Two films which he has mentioned in the past months I have watched recently, 'Pendas's Fen'. Made in 1970, it is like an old classic, weird and slowly menacing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-YCj8OnEMo

And then there is the video of Nick Drake - A Skin Too Few - it catches the depression of Nick and its darkness......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrmR_F5XgwQ
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Apr 12, 2015, 13:30
Loving Ravilious, a recent discovery for me. His chalkland paintings are great.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 12, 2015, 14:41
spencer wrote:
...from a long lineage. Check out some of the travel writing of Hilaire Belloc

Half an hour ago better half handed me pile of stuff from the loft spring clean "can this be dumped ?" among them Belloc's "The Old Road " .Fwiw it was ex libris Sir Banister Flight Fletcher .
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Apr 12, 2015, 14:59
Dumped? Aargh. I hope you declined.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Apr 12, 2015, 15:22
I was thinking of The Old Road. I trust the answer was NO : )
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Apr 12, 2015, 15:26
Ooo - Pendas Fen - I remember watching that. Ta for the link. Glad a copy still exists.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Apr 12, 2015, 15:49
I only discovered Ravilious about three years ago when I found some repro cards up at the Hepworth Gallery and then went delving on the 'net. A great loss, way too soon. Gibbings wood engravings are well worth searching out, in books like Sweet Thames Flow Softly and Lovely Flows The Lee. Another, perhaps the maestro of the genre, was D.J. Watkins-Pitchford, aka 'B.B.' I collect his books too.. and, er, have similar problems to Tiompan. Wood engravings make the British landscape so 'other'. For birds, Charles Tunnicliffe is greatest.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Apr 12, 2015, 15:51
Brilliant, loads to look into there.

I'm lucky in that G/F is equally susceptible to book buying.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 12, 2015, 16:37
spencer wrote:
I was thinking of The Old Road. I trust the answer was NO : )

Yes , it's going back with all the others , although it does mean somebody won't be getting it at a charity shop .
Not a first edition (3rd ) , paid £1:50 approx 1974 .
carol27
747 posts

Edited Apr 12, 2015, 18:22
Apr 12, 2015, 18:19
MR James" Oh whistle & I'll come to you my lad" was adapted by Johnathon Miller for the BBC starring Michael Horden, called" Whistle & I'll come to you " & it's excellent. MR James's supernatural entities are only glimpsed from the corner of the eye with the reader's imagination conjuring up the actual figure. They are the creepiest stories I've ever read. In our household, circumstances permitting, we read them on Christmas Eve in the candlelight; even the cynical youngsters enjoy this custom. Some of his stories were adapted and are available on the BBC Ghost Stories for Christmas dvd. The landscape features strongly in "oh whistle..." "A Warning to the Curious" "A View from a Hill" (as tjj mentioned) "The Ash Tree" and others.
Then there is, of course, "the Children of the Stones", which proper spooked me as a young girl & which I still love now.
Trees, hills, stones and water cast shadows, and shimmer and sway, whisper and creak; and to me stand sentinel over us in a powerful, sustaining watchfulness.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index