Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 19, 2015, 20:09
Re: Stone circle etiquette
Feb 19, 2015, 20:08
thesweetcheat wrote:
My worst ever example of this was at Boscawen Un too, funnily enough. One year we went there the day after the Summer solstice (which had been very rainy) and we got there to find a group of 7 or 8 people in the circle, with finger cymbals and chanting. We'd walked a few miles over the fields to get there so it was a bit disappointing but not unexpected during the summer.

So we waited in the (then) long grass away to the side to let them do their thing. About half an hour went by, during which a few more visitors came and waited patiently for the "ceremony" to finish.

It went on a bit longer, then finally came to an end - we'd been there getting on for an hour and still had quite a long walk to get to where we going to be catching the bus from. Anyway, they could obviously see that we and the other visitors had been waiting quietly for them to finish. Rather than vacating the circle, they then proceeded to stay inside the circle and started chatting about jobs, kids, etc. I thought this was massively rude when everyone had waited for them for so long.

Anyway. They still didn't leave, so we did. As we left the circle (not the way we went in) we passed their minibus parked in the layby on the main road. Bloody weekend pagans :)

This was one of the reasons why I rarely like visiting sites when there are other people there. It's a reason I hardly ever go to Merry Maidens and much prefer remoter sites where you can't just park up next door (I appreciate not everyone can easily access more remote places).

Another reason I don't much like visiting "show sites" is this (see comments as well):

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/109378/fieldnotes/sunkenkirk.html

Very well put tsc, and I read the excellent Sunkenkirk field note too. Which raises that much discussed dilemma - should we say something when we see people letting their kids climb on ancient monuments. Or worse still when adults do it.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Feb 19, 2015, 20:15
Funnily G/F and I were talking today about "when we were young", if we misbehaved in public an adult who saw us would tell you off and then you'd also expect to get a telling-off from your parent too (probably for embarrassing them as much as for whatever the naughtiness was). Whereas now if you told someone else's child off you'd most likely get an ear-bashing from their parents yourself.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Feb 19, 2015, 20:46
Guess it depends upon how you approach a visit to a site; whether you see it as something 'nice' to look around for a few minutes and take a few pictures, place a tick in the box .... a hobby.... or something that has the potential to profoundly move you. Whether that be on an aesthetic level - the shape, dimension, grain, texture of the stones - or in relation to where the monument is located, the backdrop, the way your attention is drawn to other points of the landscape... the sound of water, perhaps?

I'm very much the latter and like to spend all the time I have available on site, usually several hours or more, watching the changing light, moving shadows (on the rare sunny days) and cloudscapes. I think it may well be that I'm slow on the uptake and need a while for things to sink in, whilst others can appreciate scenarios in a limited time. Guess you are what you are. I have no problem with other visitors as long as they are quiet and respectful to the surroundings. If they aren't, that is a different story. There have been a number of incidents, much less so now since I try to visit popular sites early morning or dusk.

In my opinion prehistoric sites are for everyone showing respect for others, and I would be gladdened to see a man or woman so into the vibe as to be sitting in silence taking it all in. Much better than barely interested tourists. Mind you it is an extremely rare occurrence in my experience. I usually make it clear that I'm here for the duration but happy to move for a while to allow clear camera angles.
ironstone
62 posts

Feb 19, 2015, 23:45
Broadly agree with you; I've no problem at all with people wanting to spend all day at a site if that's the way it works for them. There are some places that demand you spend more than a few minutes where I've been blessedly lucky to have Callanish, Brodgar and Machrie Moor all to myself for as long as I wanted, on each occasion over an hour. Whether you're there for five mins to take snaps or like to take longer (including taking a few photos) you're entitled to the same consideration you would give others and that includes being aware enough not to encroach if you don't have to. That's particularly the case at the smaller sites where I agree that generally speaking the bigger, the more having other people in shot is par for the course.
Strikes me you're the aware sort so I shan't mind if I encounter you on one of my visits......
GLADMAN
950 posts

Feb 20, 2015, 23:45
ironstone wrote:
Broadly agree with you; I've no problem at all with people wanting to spend all day at a site if that's the way it works for them. There are some places that demand you spend more than a few minutes where I've been blessedly lucky to have Callanish, Brodgar and Machrie Moor all to myself for as long as I wanted, on each occasion over an hour. Whether you're there for five mins to take snaps or like to take longer (including taking a few photos) you're entitled to the same consideration you would give others and that includes being aware enough not to encroach if you don't have to. That's particularly the case at the smaller sites where I agree that generally speaking the bigger, the more having other people in shot is par for the course.
Strikes me you're the aware sort so I shan't mind if I encounter you on one of my visits......

A point for debate, perhaps? Are prehistoric sites still 'sacred' places - however you might define that? - or are they now irrelevant, of no use in assisting human beings relating to life on this planet? Simply museum pieces from a bygone age?

I happen to experience what could be described as 'spirituality' at these places... a feeling that somehow the world does mean something. Not in a concrete, definable, measurable sense of course, but within that bizarre, (currently) unfathomable world of introspection. Just electrical pulses. But guess the point is this is the medium we've always used, so for me these sites are still relevant, doing their job.

So would I consider moving if some ignorant, loudmouth, gobshite tourist demanded a 'clean' photo for the folks back home? No. For some quiet, considerate person wanting to take something home to rekindle some warm feeling later? Without question, yes.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Feb 21, 2015, 19:39
GLADMAN wrote:
A point for debate, perhaps? Are prehistoric sites still 'sacred' places - however you might define that? - or are they now irrelevant, of no use in assisting human beings relating to life on this planet? Simply museum pieces from a bygone age?

I happen to experience what could be described as 'spirituality' at these places... a feeling that somehow the world does mean something. Not in a concrete, definable, measurable sense of course, but within that bizarre, (currently) unfathomable world of introspection. Just electrical pulses. But guess the point is this is the medium we've always used, so for me these sites are still relevant, doing their job.

I've experienced some of the most visceral highs and lows at prehistoric sites. Some have made me want to laugh into the wind for pure joy (in fact my recent locating of the cist on the slopes of the Sugarloaf had me doing just that), some take the breath away with their splendour or their landscape setting, some have a very special quiet and hushed beauty, while others have brought buried emotions to the surface in a very unexpected way.

And occasionally sites have brought anger and disappointment, when they've been badly abused by people.

Purely my own opinion, but I wouldn't probably use the word "sacred" to describe these places, as that carries some kind of "higher being"/religious connotations, in my mind anyway. Any religion practiced at them now is essentially made-up Victorian romanticism, no matter what the druids might tell you. But spiritual? For sure. The high, remote places are invariably a salve and a tonic. Just not when there's a coach trip arriving.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 22, 2015, 16:38
thesweetcheat wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:

I've experienced some of the most visceral highs and lows at prehistoric sites. Some have made me want to laugh into the wind for pure joy (in fact my recent locating of the cist on the slopes of the Sugarloaf had me doing just that), some take the breath away with their splendour or their landscape setting, some have a very special quiet and hushed beauty, while others have brought buried emotions to the surface in a very unexpected way.

And occasionally sites have brought anger and disappointment, when they've been badly abused by people.

Purely my own opinion, but I wouldn't probably use the word "sacred" to describe these places, as that carries some kind of "higher being"/religious connotations, in my mind anyway. Any religion practiced at them now is essentially made-up Victorian romanticism, no matter what the druids might tell you. But spiritual? For sure. The high, remote places are invariably a salve and a tonic. Just not when there's a coach trip arriving.

TSC, you and Gladman have a way with words. I enjoyed your posts on this subject a lot. I have been guilty of turning up in a coach on one occasion - when I visited the Ring of Brodgar a few years back. Was travelling alone and it was the only way I could get there - I also recall it being one of the most euphoric experiences I have had on a visit to an ancient site - perhaps it was the effort involved in getting there, or the heavy mist lifting just as we arrived on Orkney, or the deep blue of the sky, the like of which I hadn't seen before, or that it was midsummer. I can't pin it down but it has stayed with me.

On the other hand, Callanish didn't have that effect much to my surprise (though the golden eagle did). I remember Sunkenkirk for getting hopelessly lost trying to walk there with my companion who had used a very old one inch map to plot a five mile walk meant to end up there - instead we ended up walking into a bog hemmed in by barbed wire. After retracing our steps we drove there and just walked a short distance from the car. My feet were soaking wet and my friend was now 'very hungry'. We ate our packed lunch huddled behind one of the stones in the rain. It was an amazing place though, in spite of the discomfit - also I saw my first and only red squirrel run across the road with a baby in its mouth on the journey across Cumbria to get there.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Feb 22, 2015, 17:46
Thanks June - "way with words" = talk a lot :)

Your Orkney and Lewis adventures are an inspiration, I hope we'll get there one day.
ironstone
62 posts

Feb 22, 2015, 20:24
I too would balk at the word 'sacred' because apart from the strong probability of rites/rituals at tombs/burial mounds etc we can't realistically say what the circles (certainly the smaller ones with no obvious solar body alignments) were actually used for. I've said it before, its the sheer 'ancientness' of them that calls to me, the awareness that they've sat in these changing landscapes for so long and I have certainly experienced profound feelings of awe/peace/history whilst visiting them which I wouldn't hesitate to characterise as 'spiritual'.
To bring the thread back to its starting point, I guess what actually teed me off about my Coldrum meditator was that he was like those people at art galleries who stand for just a bit too long (and a bit too close) in their rapt contemplation in front of a painting as if they have to demonstrate they have a higher appreciation than us mere voyeurs. I'm sure the experience would have been just as moving for him if he'd sat 6 feet away.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Feb 23, 2015, 22:07
tjj wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:

TSC, you and Gladman have a way with words. I enjoyed your posts on this subject a lot. I have been guilty of turning up in a coach on one occasion - when I visited the Ring of Brodgar a few years back. Was travelling alone and it was the only way I could get there - I also recall it being one of the most euphoric experiences I have had on a visit to an ancient site - perhaps it was the effort involved in getting there, or the heavy mist lifting just as we arrived on Orkney, or the deep blue of the sky, the like of which I hadn't seen before, or that it was midsummer. I can't pin it down but it has stayed with me.

On the other hand, Callanish didn't have that effect much to my surprise (though the golden eagle did). I remember Sunkenkirk for getting hopelessly lost trying to walk there with my companion who had used a very old one inch map to plot a five mile walk meant to end up there - instead we ended up walking into a bog hemmed in by barbed wire. After retracing our steps we drove there and just walked a short distance from the car. My feet were soaking wet and my friend was now 'very hungry'. We ate our packed lunch huddled behind one of the stones in the rain. It was an amazing place though, in spite of the discomfit - also I saw my first and only red squirrel run across the road with a baby in its mouth on the journey across Cumbria to get there.

I first went to Callanish on the bus, Tjj. Foot passenger from Ullapool. It was the sight of the other stone circles through the window that prompted a week tour a few years later... as I recall I then literally spent all day at the stones, dawn to dusk. Because I could, and it felt good. I'm not religious, don't believe in the metaphysical, but the sensations being there generated within me, of timelessness, about us and our civilisation being 'just another passing through', another chapter in the human story to be superseded, built upon in turn by another, meant something, you know? I'm quite prepared to say I think these places are sacred - to me - not in the narrow conventional sense of blind devotion to some deity championed in holy texts - nicely packaged for human consumption - but as a location where introspective musings upon being built of the same stuff, the same atoms continually recycled, as everything else on this planet feels not only appropriate but an imperative. I don't think this was left to chance, merely a happy accident. Those people knew what they were doing. Those slender monoliths of Lewisian Gneiss - with that grain - were chosen for a reason. The location, too. The stage for whatever rituals were carried out had to be right. In my opinion that at Callanish still is. As are the locations of innumerable other monuments. Of course the point is this is all in the head, human perception, so there can never be a definitive benchmark. People may also argue that 'thought' doesn't actually exist. How can electrical pulses in the brain be 'about' anything? Fair point, although I feel if many people are experiencing the same introspective sensations from a location, from the aesthetics formed of stones stuck in the ground, or a pile of stones piled upon a mountain top, then, from a social perspective it has to be of worth to the human psyche.

I recall a young girl saying to her - presumably - grandfather at the Tursachan, 'What's so good about a pile of old stones?'.... to which he replied "Because they represent the dawn of civilisation upon Earth". Not bad, eh? He was an old Indian gentleman in a turban.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index