22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: Gong for TMA
Jul 17, 2015, 12:40
tjj wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

"I was wondering if the HA team would take a look at the Stonehenge and Avebury Management Plan to see if there is anything in it that needs a unified response."

Yeah, we were trying to get each other to do that but personally I get irritated by anything from that direction that is presented as public consultation as you just know it'll be full of vague words or tricky ones and the chances of anything being changed by anything anyone says is pretty low.

On the other hand, if you want to wade through it and do a summary for us we'd be very grateful! But you're also very welcome instead to do some more fun contributions if you'd like, (Megalithic stuff you can see from a bus" springs to mind!) The main thing is, do it for fun, don't let it be a chore, that's how I approach articles. As soon as I start boring myself I stop, which is usually after 3 brief paragraphs. The punters tend to lose interest beyond that length too.

At first glance the 'Plan' seems impenetrable, however the Summary is not very useful as leaves a lot out. I'm planning to go to the Public Consultation with the Wiltshire Co-ordination Unit at a local library on 23rd January and will try to digest some of it in bite sized chunks before then.

Have just taken a look at Section 11 - Roads and Traffic which has under it several useful headings i.e. 'Road Safety and Ease of Movement'. I was interested in point 11.5 which is on 'Public Transport Provision and Sustainable Travel to the WHS' suggesting a bus service linking Avebury and Stonehenge.

So yes, I'd love to take you up on your offer to write about a bus journey that takes in Megalithic stuff - perhaps I'll hold on until I can fully describe the journey between Avebury and Stonehenge (you will recall Wiltshire Museum did fund this as a project a few years back using the Wiltshire Wildlife Trust mini-bus and volunteers as drivers).

Point 11.4 is about 'Byways' - which is concerned (among other things) about the damage done to buried archaeology by 4x4s especially on the Ridgeway (although some restrictions are in place) and the Herepath near Avebury.

I travelled on the Henge Hopper with a most informative driver at the helm.
I still have the pics. :)

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index