The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge - dating the Y and Z holes

56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dave1982
83 posts

Re: Stonehenge - dating the Y and Z holes
Dec 16, 2014, 17:41
'The arcs of both are irregular (look at the kink in the Y circuit ) making it even more likely that they were not laid out pre sarsen monument.'

5) Irregularities indicating Sarsen stones obstructing sight lines -

The point about the irregularity indicating the obstructing presents of the stones is a very sound one, and caused me considerable thought, especially with regard to Y5. It can be seen that the Eastern arc is quite regular, with the exception of Y5. The Sarsen stone arc is not nearly so regular with both the radius and arc chord length between adjacent holes varying.

I gazed at Figure 12.1 for a couple of hours constantly switching screens from your post to Figure 12.1 with increasing despair for the survival of the sunrise theory! : ) At around midnight however I laid a plastic ruler - very carefully - over my screen across the sight line from the Eastern arc origin to Z5 and Y5, and found the displacement was not as sever as first appeared. I repeated this for all the pairs of the Y&Z holes and found that there is a reasonable consistency of the accuracy of the sight lines along the three points of the origin of the arc, and matching pairs of Y&Z holes. Please refer to -

https://sites.google.com/site/originsofstonehenge/home/datingyz
(if the link does not work just copy it into the address bar)

This consistency of sight lines makes it appear that a Neolithic surveyor (freeman) standing at the origin of the arcs shouted at two Neolithic assistants (slaves) to position them and mark the positions for the digging of the holes. This would explain (a) the irregularity of the arc chord length between adjoining stones which is dependent on the surveyor’s judgement by eye, and (b) the irregularity of the radius if measure by leather cord, as the cord over this distance would be quite elastic. ( I know this as I used leather boot laces in the 1960’s army, and they are quite elastic, hence the comfort ) The sight line from the origin across a Y&Z pair (3 points) would be easier to judge by eye and should be quite accurate, which it is.

It is difficult to understand how this accuracy could be achieved with the Sarsen stone structure present, as the stones would obstruct the sight lines, especially in the cases of Y6 and Y16. Thus the implication is that the Y&Z structure was built before the stones, but with less developed surveying skills. : )
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index