Stonehenge Y&Z holes evidence of farming calendar

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Re: Stonehenge Y&Z holes evidence of farming calendar
Dec 01, 2014, 05:02
And don't forget to put a visitors center 30 centimeters away.

I've got a built it yourself stonehenge somewhere that was a stocking filler...'bout 2" high, not that accurate to look at, but all the larger trilithon pieces are there. There's even a green card base with the bluestones printed on, and numbers where to place the 'stones'.

Get one here if that's your thang...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Your-Stonehenge-Running-Press/dp/076242883X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417408299&sr=8-1&keywords=Model+Stonehenge
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 01, 2014, 08:58
Monganaut wrote:
And don't forget to put a visitors center 30 centimeters away.

I've got a built it yourself stonehenge somewhere that was a stocking filler...'bout 2" high, not that accurate to look at, but all the larger trilithon pieces are there. There's even a green card base with the bluestones printed on, and numbers where to place the 'stones'.

Get one here if that's your thang...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Your-Stonehenge-Running-Press/dp/076242883X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417408299&sr=8-1&keywords=Model+Stonehenge

Free entry as well...too good to miss.

PS...could be useful for ten pin + bowling practise as well :-)
Dave1982
83 posts

Dec 03, 2014, 21:16
tiompan wrote:
Dave ,
the declination of the sunrise at the winter solstice sunrise around 2500 bc is - 24 and summer solstice sunrise is +24 .
It is when the combination of latitude , altitude, azimuth of the event , combine to produce via the formula for declination ,a declination of +or 24 we know that we have a alignment that would would work for the solstice of the period . Today , because of the change in obliquity the declination would be closer to + or - 23 .5 .

Ummm, yeah, I have to admit I'm a bit lost here. What units are the 24s in? And what are they + and - to ? Sorry about my ignorance.

I've surfed for the declination (angle) of path of the rising sun to the azimuth (far horizon) but have found nothing. I wonder if the curve of the rising sun has ever been calculated ? This is well in advance of my education and I may have to drop this, and just make an intelligent guess by checking the horizon via Streetview. Not very scientific I know : ) but if this theory ever attracts serious attention I'll leave it to the serious academics to do a rigorous examination ! (such as yourself perhaps?)

: )

Dave1982
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 03, 2014, 22:40
Sorry Dave I should have mentioned that declination is measured in degrees .
This is the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declination .

Nothing wrong with street view if the site is close to the road but if it isn’t then it is a bit more long winded , the site I linked to could help a lot with speeding up the process of the calc .

Not sure what you meant by “curve” , angle of rise perhaps ? If so yes . It varies depending on latitude i.e. in the Yemen the sun rises and sets much more steeply than here in the UK at the equator it’s straight up and down
Dave1982
83 posts

Dec 04, 2014, 21:27
Hi tiompan

Thanks, I shall study that.

By curve I mean the angle of the rising sun to the azimuth (far horizon) I didn't know about the changing angle with latitude - very interesting. I know nothing about astronomy as I expect you now know ! : )

Dave1982
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 04, 2014, 22:57
Dave1982 wrote:
Hi tiompan

Thanks, I shall study that.

By curve I mean the angle of the rising sun to the azimuth (far horizon) I didn't know about the changing angle with latitude - very interesting. I know nothing about astronomy as I expect you now know ! : )

Dave1982

Sorry Dave ,

I don't follow .

If the point on the horizon measured from the observer is the azimuth I don't see what the angle could be ,other than that of the angle of rise itself .
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index