Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Stonehenge TV programme
Sep 09, 2014, 15:41
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Interesting that there was no mention of the Heel stone in the clip , as this was considered as the the observing point of the alignment over the sites of the pits (despite one being unsighted from the monument ) to the solstices when the idea was first mooted .One of these was correct the other ,the unsighted western pit , wrong . Have they accepted the mistake and now changing the "alignments" to a far less accurate "Stonehenge " . The pits have never been excavated , never mind dated yet the are mentioned as being part of the reason for the building of the monument " 400 years later " .It gets worse .

I remember reading the discussion on the portal some time ago. If the criticisms made at that time regarding the heel stone as observation point have been addressed by moving to 'stonehenge' in general, as you suggest as a possiblity, then we are looking at a pretty desperate situation. Add to that unexcavated, undated pits(!) what is there left to say?

It seems like the old story of gilding the lily . They have done lot of geofizz got the results ,and not only the pits , great . If and when some of the sites are excavated we could maybe have something really interesting .But they had to add the fantasy interpretation , and got it wrong . To get notice ? to help with further funding ?

I suppose the reason for throwing in the sensational depends upon on whose attention you are trying to grab, and for what purpose.
I'm sure the mechanisms involved with funding via media companies can be pretty jaundiced, but as you say, there is incredible potential in the work carried out so far. Why not wait a bit for the excavations, dates etc build upon those and produce something with real integrity?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index