Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2014, 14:10
Re: Infeastructure Bill 2014
Aug 19, 2014, 14:05
Kozmik_Ken wrote:
The Infrastructure Bill 2014, currently before the House of Lords, could well threaten our National Parks and access to some of our best loved landscapes. It seeks to transfer public land to the Housing and Communities Agency, in the process extinguishing any existing rights of way and protection from development, which could well include scheduled ancient monuments.

More here: http://bit.ly/VzoZvv.

Thank you for this post and the link to Andy Hemingway's blog. This is so very depressing it would be easy to look the other way and just get on with your own little corner of the universe. Once again, it comes back to energy production and over population.
On the energy production side: no one wants to give up driving their car or travelling by plane at least to holiday destinations ("my one flight a year won't make a difference"). Where is the fuel coming from, especially now things are so precarious in the Middle East. No one, with a few exceptions, wants wind turbines or solar parks spoiling the landscape, especially near ancient monuments. In fact there was outrage recently when an anti-fracking group made a protest at Avebury.

Housing is driven by different issues which are in some ways easier to get a handle on - but protest as much as you like; gather thousands to support your cause - the Secretary of State i.e. Government will throw objections out at the end of the day and give developers the go ahead.

So what to do ... If we are honest I think the majority of us bury our heads in the metaphorical sand and walk away. I will contact my MP and put my objections to this bill on the record. Will it make any difference ?? We can but try.

Edit: Have just noticed you are Andy Hemingway - great blog!

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index