Foxhill Farm, nr Liddington.

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2013, 14:49
Re: Foxhill Farm, nr Liddington.
Aug 21, 2013, 14:49
Could be June, could be. You're right that it's best not to close your mind completely and become a professional cynic.

I was just looking at the Long Man of Wilmington, they think that's 1600ish. But there's lots of documentary evidence about it. Which there isn't about these alleged figures.

Also, another thought I had, is that if you're going for something visible and 'readable' from afar, to say "We're Here" or "This is What I'm Talking About" or "You over there can spot this from miles away" - you go for something bold, a clear straightforward design. Like the uffington horse - so pared back and elegant. Or in fact the modern white horses. Or indeed the Wilmington man or Cerne Abbas. Not some muddle like this is purported to be, or like the Cambridge one, which was supposed to have a chariot and allsorts. Those are more like some kind of giant art installation, illustrating a whole range of things. They've not got the same simple symbolic impact of a single figure. I'd say that was another nail in the coffin of their credibility.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index