Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Ancient Rock art could disappear
Mar 18, 2013, 12:58
tiompan wrote:
moss wrote:
"We should do what ever is practical to minimise decay, but not at the expense of rendering monuments irrelevant in the here and now. In my opinion that would be to destroy any inherent meaning they may possess. Are we really so arrogant as to assume there is nothing we can learn, that monuments should be placed in cold storage in the hope that future generations might want to take up the challenge we decline?" quoting Gladman here...

With him all the way here, context and meaning is so important, when I first put the news on here was unsure of how I would react. But then, we travelled across the North Yorks moors yesterday, past that wonderful geological wonder of nature the Hole of Horcum and of course Fylingdale moor, scene to a wild fire that uncovered Bronze age cairns and rock art.

Forget covering surfaces with plastic, forget hauling stones off to museums, like the replicas in Whitby Museum lying forgotten under a table, if rock art has to slowly decay, so be it, climate change is a natural phenomena, okay humans maybe enhance it but that will probably result in our own destruction anyway.

We have technology to record RA at its present state, just like the Victorians did 150 years ago with their limited technology - pen and paper, the open places are best for all our stones and if they get damaged by the elements, that is nature at work.....

We can indulge ourselves in allowing and accepting the degradation of that what is ours as being part of the natural cycle, but that luxury shouldn't extend to that which is in our stewardship .

Well that's exactly what is happening all over with many of our stone circles George supposedly due to a lack of cash, so RA has no better chance I wouldn't have thought.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index