22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Ridgeway National Trail
Jan 19, 2013, 19:05
Zariadris wrote:
Hi folks,

My wife and I are hoping to make a long-dreamed of trip to England around mid-March and are thinking of hiking the Ridgeway National Trail. It's my understanding that it includes Avebury along the way, and is purportedly the oldest track in Britain. Having studied Britain's megalithic heritage from a distance all these years, we are terribly excited to finally have a chance to visit a select few in person. The trail sounds like a perfect way to experience this ancient landscape.

Has anyone here hiked the path in part or in whole? Any advice, opinions or suggestions would be most appreciated. Also, what can we expect weather-wise in mid to late March?

Thanks very much in advance...

Z.

Hi Z,

The trail itself starts (or ends depending on which way you choose to walk!) at the site of a stone circle called 'The Sanctuary'. (Sadly the stones are long gone, but posts mark where they would have stood). This is a little way from Avebury itself, which can be accessed by taking a footpath off the ridgeway nearby. It's not far, perhaps a 40-50 min walk. It would help alot if you could get hold of an ordnance survey map of the avebury area. The ridgeway path itself does not go through Avebury.

Weather is pot luck in March, you could have dry warm weather or it could rain solidly for 2 weeks! Probably best to prepare for rain in any case, as the weather is always quite unpredictable here. The ridgeway path itself can be quite hard going in parts when it's wet as some vehicles which also use the path have left it quite rutted, but that's only in certain areas.

The trail either passes through or by lots of prehistoric sites, including Waylands smithy long barrow, the Uffington white horse and many Iron Age hill forts and Bronze Age barrows.

A decent guide book, if you can get hold of it, is 'The Ridgeway' by Anthony Burton. You will lots of information in there, including maps, accommodation info and info on some of the ancient sites.
I dont know if you are intending to camp or stay in B&Bs, hotels etc but accomodation can be tricky, there's not an awful lot on the route itself, and you may find you have to plan quite carefully in advance.

Whether the ridgeway itself is an ancient route is actually disputed, but traditionally it has always been thought of as such. I think it is, for what's its worth!

Hope this has Helped!

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index