Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Towie petrosphere, fly agaric, excarnation ...

3 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Re: Towie petrosphere, fly agaric, excarnation ...
Dec 07, 2012, 10:36
Excarnation by large birds like Sea Eagles, Golden Eagles, Buzzards etc. may well have been a feature in our past. I'm unaware of Vultures living here in Scotland in the past. I'm not sure how many skulls from the period have been found "intact" versus "stoved in". But many small bones (eg. fingers and toes) are missing from tomb burials suggesting losses, perhaps from excarnation, possibly suggesting defleshing of the large bones left in situ, while small bones might have been carried away.

Bone does not survive well in Scottish acidic soils. This goes some way to explaining the lack of bones. Scotland didn't have a large populations then.

Your theory regarding the use of stone balls as ritual maces for bashing in skulls is interesting, but I feel the small size of these balls might mean that the stone balls would need to be attached to a shaft of some sort to get sufficient purchase for a full "stoving in" of the skull. No signs on the stone balls of the adaptations needed for such shafts. There were many larger, more useful axes and maces in existence which would do that job much more efficiently.
Recently these very beautiful objects have been suggested as "ball bearings" for transporting large monoliths on wooden tracks (I know, I know...).
In a Young Archaeology Group I worked with, we passed a "stone ball" between members for question and discussion time. Whoever had the stone ball "had the floor" and could speak. It saved everybody talking at once and brought order. The members also loved creating them. The variety of designs created from a basic template was stunning. I recall a few winter nights while the members sat in groups passing the time making them. They are delightful, tactile objects.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index