Silbury Hill »
Trespass on SSSI sites

Pages: 38 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: piffle
Sep 05, 2012, 10:17
70,000 people visit Skara Brae each year. That's a lot of people who you 're suggesting aren't really interested. I would like to bet quite a few of them would like to wander around the houses.

What is the difference exactly?
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 05, 2012, 10:20
Rhiannon wrote:
No, you as an individual won't do much damage to Skara Brae. The people who work there won't see you doing it. The other visitors won't see you. Even the baby jesus won't see you. No-one will see you, but you'll have to justify it to yourself that it's necessary because you're more special than anyone else..

So to summarise.... an action will have no detrimental effect whatsoever, but we shouldn't do it anyway because it doesn't fit into your personal philosophy? I don't think that's much of an argument ;)
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 05, 2012, 10:21
Rhiannon wrote:
What is the difference exactly?

A very small minority of people might be prepared to make the effort to actually do it, the rest won't. People are different. That doesn't make anyone "special".
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 05, 2012, 10:23
[quote="Evergreen Dazed"Correct me if i'm wrong, Mr M.[/quote]
You're not wrong. It's depressing how quickly this forum descends into personal attacks.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 05, 2012, 10:26
As an ideal, Rhiannon, would you like to see, say, all the Avebury sites 'fenced off' and unaccessable? And if not, why not?
Theres plenty of damage being done.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 05, 2012, 10:38
You can say you're not "special" and that your personal philosophy is different from Rhiannon's and the vast majority of people that sign up to Rousseau's Social Contract (despite it often being apparently unnecessary and to their personal disadvantage) but in the last analysis you are saying theres one (good) rule for most people and another for you. Does the bloke with the pot of paint say that? 'Course he does. Long live the Rule of Law and "black and white" and The General Will. And Democracy.
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 05, 2012, 10:48
nigelswift wrote:
You can say you're not "special" and that your personal philosophy is different from Rhiannon's and the vast majority of people that sign up to Rousseau's Social Contract (despite it often being apparently unnecessary and to their personal disadvantage) but in the last analysis you are saying theres one (good) rule for most people and another for you.
Something like that. I'm saying that certain rules need to be in place to discourage certain behaviours from being the norm. That doesn't mean that such rules need to be applied rigorously and without exception.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2012, 11:11
Sep 05, 2012, 10:57
Mustard wrote:
[quote="Evergreen Dazed"Correct me if i'm wrong, Mr M.[/quote]
You're not wrong. It's depressing how quickly this forum descends into personal attacks.

It doesn't have to ...

Skara Brae does get thousands of visitors - the majority of whom are brought by coach in the summer and taken away again. A few stay on the islands and wander about after hours to see a different Orkney. I mentioned in a previous post that Jarlshof on Shetland has open access and is just as fascinating as Skara Brae (not sure if its got the sideboards though). At the end of the day the decision to 'do' or 'not to' is personal. Late at night on Orkney no one is going to stop you but I for one would find it unnerving.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 05, 2012, 10:59
I'm afraid I dont follow that. WHO are the exceptions, and WHY do they need to be exempt?
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 05, 2012, 11:07
nigelswift wrote:
I'm afraid I dont follow that. WHO are the exceptions, and WHY do they need to be exempt?

Like I said, Nige - we're not going to agree, are we, so what's the point in you and I continuing to discuss this? You obviously have a very different world view to me.
Pages: 38 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index