The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
All Roads Lead Home (in correct place!)

11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Oct 07, 2011, 01:18
Re: All Roads Lead Home (in correct place!)
Oct 07, 2011, 00:14
moss wrote:
If you didn't see it...I am sure it will be on i-player...turn the sound down and enjoy the visuals.

Well the scenery was lovely, but the non-stop quacking of the three 'contestants' drove me away half way through;).
So when I get lost must examine the nearest sheep's poo or cow's droppings! and don't forget to take a rucksack as well (was his name Steven), it could provide water and food should you really, really get lost, that is if you have'nt got a camera crew following you.

I understand this programme was given the thumbs down in the Guardian's tv guide and I've heard from someone else who turned off after the first five minutes.

A few points though, how did people navigate their way around before the invention of maps and compasses. They used the sun mainly so they had to have a knowledge of where the sun rose at certain times of the year and how it 'travelled across the sky'. And they had to learn how to identify which direction the wind was blowing, which was where the examining droppings came in. They would have had to read the terrain for clues, especially when there was no sun to guide them. Its true the programme was contrived in parts though the three people weren't really operating as celebrities rather just being themselves (ok, so they were getting paid). In the bit where Sue Perkins walked around the Boscawen-un stone circle with two Wiccans she revealed that she had moved to Cornwall from London after her home had been been broken into and her partner terrorised. Later, Alison Steadman wistfully recalled her 17 year old self visiting Mousehole with three friends from Liverpool, their first trip away from home without parents.

Watching it caused me to recall my stay in Cornwall about 18 months ago. Myself and much loved but hapless friend had walked down to Mousehole from the village of Paul with the intention of walking overland to Lamorna. We set off without map or compass and definitely without any sense of direction. After walking for some time I spotted a church tower and decided it must be the next village so we headed towards it. We ended up back in Paul - where we had started from - so some navigation skills would have been very useful indeed.

To anyone who hasn't seen it, I'd say watch the whole programme if you get the chance - it finishes at Cape Cornwall with what must be one of Cornwall's most spectacular views.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b015r93h/All_Roads_Lead_Home_Episode_1/

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index