1 message
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Cornwall - Some Questions!
Aug 05, 2011, 15:03
Hi all

I'm just back from a week in Cornwall - I had a fantastic time, I started down in Penzance, visited Merry Maidens, Men an Tol (after an hour's aimless searching), Lanyon Quoit, Mulfra Quoit, Chycauster, Nine Maidens cirle, The Blind Fiddler, Up to St Breock's and my old friend Men Gurta, St Breock's Menhir, Pawton Quoit, Nine Maidens stone row, then across to Bodmin and The Hurlers, Threvethy Quoit, King Arthur's Halls, King Doniert's Stone, Trippet Stones, Stripple Stones (visited 3 years ago and still took me hours to find again).

I used a great App on my iPhone 'Oudoors' with a 1:25 OS map of Cornwall. Anyway I had a couple of questions - if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear.

Nine Maidens Stone Row: Is there an accepted theory as to what these stones were part of? There is a lot of felled stones and two large piles of stones in the field and the field adjacent to the right - what were the nine maidens? They always fascinate me and I'd love to know more about them.

Camelford: As you go through Camelford on the right hand side of the high street as you head East through the town and just after the 'Co-op', there is a large standing stone in someone's courtyard. Has anyone ever noticed this? I only drove through and didn't know if this was just decorative or was a preserved monolith?

Fernacre: For the 2nd time of wandering around Roughtor in the rain, this site eluded me - can someone tell me any landmarks that point the way? I don't know why I'm finding it so tough to find...

The Fiddler - I read notes that it is aligned to the Nine Maidens stone row - What were the two sites in relation to eachother?

Lastly - to the Eds I suppose - are there any plans to bring out a TMA app? I got so much out of the 'Outdoors' OS app and thought there could be a gap in the market for such an App - have there been any discussions about this?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index