Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Wretched longhorn cattle
Jun 26, 2011, 16:16
moss wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

We visited a number of sites that CASPN take responsibility for keeping clear (Mulfra courtyard houses for example), which highlight a much better way of protecting the monuments from vegetation. I noted that a small area of heather and gorse just north of Treen Common enclosure has been burnt back as well, which has always provided another option to grazing.

Enclosure of the moors is to me a first step towards permanent enclosure of otherwise free access areas and should definitely not be allowed.
Those cows who gave me such grief ;) are not really remotely suitable for such spaces, the English longhorn is a rare breed I know, but association of large lumbering creatures around small circles is a nonsense. It seems they only go on in summer, so at least they don't 'poach' the ground.
Seems to me Natural England really did'nt go into other options for getting rid of, not sure what, probably gorse and heather though, perhaps sheep are a better answer....
CASPN I think have monthly tidying up parties of the cairns, have a link somewhere on it and they definitely do a good job in clearing vegetation.

Gorse and heather do tend to cover the 'wild places', North Yorkshire moors often presents a miserable brown face of heather, with a few sheep keeping the trackways open and yet the accidental burning a few years ago brought to light more rockart round Fylingsdale., and presumably more settlements and prehistoric stones lie hidden if the heather was burnt off.

CASPN do a great job (there's another group on the Lizard who do something similar). The dates for clear-ups are advertised in the tri-yearly Maen Mamvro magazine as well.

Tregeseal Common/Kenidjack Common (especially up towards the holed stones) is very heather- and gorse-covered. It gets quite impenetrable and it probably does need to be controlled. The choice of cattle is not good though and the resulting need to enclose the commons are even less appealing. I must say that Tregeseal circle itself is much clearer of vegetation this summer than usual (we've been every summer for about a dozen years), but there are loads of cowpats all around instead. Around the circle the predominant vegetation is bracken, with less gorse and heather. I'll post a couple of pictures for comparison of vegetation once I get them sorted.

[Edited to tidy quotes, sorry]
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index