Wolstonbury: henge or hillfort

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Wolstonbury: henge or hillfort
Apr 13, 2011, 21:38
Was out walking at the beginning of the week around the village of Brimpsfield in Gloucestershire; at the end of the walk I suggested we have a quick look at the village church which was set apart from the village and accessed only by a field path. Walking up to the church there was on the left something that looked very similar to a hillfort - earthworks surrounded by a deep ditch. It was in fact the remains of Brimpsfield Castle which was built in the 12/13th century and later destroyed. Set alongside the church (also Norman) both were on an escarpment overlooking the surrounding countryside. A wind picked up as we walked towards the church and there was a sense of a 'time-shift' - I couldn't lose the hillfort image but can find nothing to suggest either church or castle were built on a more ancient site.

History is a continuation of pre-history when all is said and done and I wondered if the model for medieval castles, encircled by a defensive moat was based on the hillfort principle. Just musing, sorry if I've wandered off topic.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index