2 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Jan 12, 2011, 19:48
Re: Chalcolithic Wine
Jan 12, 2011, 19:48
Stream of consciousness alert:

I heard about that on the radio, it's all very interesting. But all this serious talk about 'ritual' is all very well- Ok it might have been made to drink at funerals or whenever. But at the end of the day, people make wine because it gets them pissed. Otherwise you'd just drink water wouldn't you or straightforward grape juice. Whatever occasion it was, it was probably drunk because it made them feel tipsy??

Or maybe that's just my bad british attitude to alcohol. I've just thought of an exception, people sipping wine in christian communion. I guess that's symbolic, that's not supposed to get you drunk is it. Though the original bottles at the last supper, they were proper wine for drinking weren't they, surely.

And people used to brew ale didn't they because it was sterile and safer than drinking river water. But that was all year round and it wouldn't have been very alcoholic. Whereas the wine must have been a once-a-year do-something-with-the-grapes-quickly moment, a nice change from the mundane and surely something to look forward to?

waffle endeth.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index