'A Lady in Waiting' - by Roy Goutté

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Dec 06, 2010, 23:46
'A Lady in Waiting' - by Roy Goutté
Dec 06, 2010, 23:28
When this little book landed on my doormat, I admit to being slightly sceptical - though easy to see just at a glance, it was well written, accessible and jargon free.

Thoroughly researched and clearly a labour of love for its author Roy Goutté (aka Sanctuary); he draws on records dating back to 1685, quoting correspondence to John Aubrey by Dr Robert Toope as documented in Monumenta Brittania; he details in chronological order the Silbury excavations up to the current decade when he quotes David Field (English Heritage’s Landscape Investigation Team) and Jim Leary.

This is not an alternative Story of Silbury Hill, however; Roy makes an credible case for the Avebury Complex being a carefully thought out neolithic Female Earth Figure, the purpose of which was a gateway to the afterlife. He links the component parts of the Avebury Complex including the Ridgeway, the Sanctuary, the Great Circle, West Kennet and Beckhampton Avenues; Silbury Hill (as the figure in child) and the Swallowhead Springs/River Kennet - as the (re)birth canal and gateway to the afterlife. I found Roy’s chapter on the Swallowhead Springs particularly moving.

If you think this is a rehash of something you’ve read before, trust me it isn’t. I have been fairly immersed in the Avebury landscape over the past three or four years – so much so, this year I had a break and left it alone. There are ideas in Roy’s book I’ve never heard expressed before; perhaps the biggest revelation for me was what Roy has to say about the Well within the stone circle (now housed in the Red Lion pub). I’ve pondered and pondered on the significance of this within the circle – Roy’s book offers a plausible explanation.

A great little read indeed - thoroughly recommended.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: 'A Lady in Waiting' - by Roy Goutté
Dec 07, 2010, 07:12
tjj wrote:
When this little book landed on my doormat, I admit to being slightly sceptical - though easy to see just at a glance, it was well written, accessible and jargon free.

Thoroughly researched and clearly a labour of love for its author Roy Goutté (aka Sanctuary); he draws on records dating back to 1685, quoting correspondence to John Aubrey by Dr Robert Toope as documented in Monumenta Brittania; he details in chronological order the Silbury excavations up to the current decade when he quotes David Field (English Heritage’s Landscape Investigation Team) and Jim Leary.

This is not an alternative Story of Silbury Hill, however; Roy makes an credible case for the Avebury Complex being a carefully thought out neolithic Female Earth Figure, the purpose of which was a gateway to the afterlife. He links the component parts of the Avebury Complex including the Ridgeway, the Sanctuary, the Great Circle, West Kennet and Beckhampton Avenues; Silbury Hill (as the figure in child) and the Swallowhead Springs/River Kennet - as the (re)birth canal and gateway to the afterlife. I found Roy’s chapter on the Swallowhead Springs particularly moving.

If you think this is a rehash of something you’ve read before, trust me it isn’t. I have been fairly immersed in the Avebury landscape over the past three or four years – so much so, this year I had a break and left it alone. There are ideas in Roy’s book I’ve never heard expressed before; perhaps the biggest revelation for me was what Roy has to say about the Well within the stone circle (now housed in the Red Lion pub). I’ve pondered and pondered on the significance of this within the circle – Roy’s book offers a plausible explanation.

Thank you so much for such a lovely and accurate review of my book 'A Lady In Waiting' tjj. It certainly was a labour of love for me and something that gave me so much pleasure researching, writing and publishing. I have had a lifelong affair with Avebury and felt that all that I had gleaned from researching the Complex as I saw it should be put into print as it is such a magnificient reminder of Neolithic man's great will and determination to reach their goal. I have admired so much their technical skills which must have been 'cutting edge' for their time in Great Britain and the doggedness shown by them year upon year in constructing this fantastic monument for what at times must have been under the most arduous of working conditions and with the most basic of tools. It must at times have tested the spirit, strength and belief of even the toughest and most devout and I am in complete awe of them.
I end the book with the words:- 'Nearly everything that should be there still is - the only things really missing are the people and their beliefs'.
We are so lucky that we are still able to piece it all together with what remains and still walk freely amongst it. With great care on our part let's keep it that way.

May I just mention that the book is priced at £13.99 + £1.50 p&p and available though the Lady in Waiting website http://aveburyaladyinwaiting.co.uk or directly from myself at Owl's Roost, North Hill, Launceston, Cornwall PL15 7NH. Please make cheques/PO's payable to Roy Goutte.

However, seeing that Christmas is just aound the corner, I am offering TMA members a discount leading up to the big day where the book is available for just £10 + £1.50 p&p. Payment can be made through PayPal or directly to me at the above address. If you would like the copy signed to yourself or someone else, please notify me of this when ordering. Obviously if you would like a copy for Xmas either for yourself or as a gift then please get your order off ASAP.

Kindest regards,
Roy (Sanctuary)
megadread
1202 posts

Dec 07, 2010, 10:35
I usually get to page 2 of books like this, groan a little, well a lot actually, then put it down never to be opened again.
I did read Lady in waiting all the way through though.
Whilst i don't subscribe to Roy's theory, i have to say it is unusually well written and the content shows Roy knows his way around the Avebury landscape, his love for the monuments shines through too.

The lack of airy fairy speak is something i wasn't expecting and quite refreshing given the subject / theory.

All in all a good little read that gives a very different perspective on the WHS.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Dec 08, 2010, 10:03
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:

Thank you so much for such a lovely and accurate review of my book 'A Lady In Waiting' tjj. It certainly was a labour of love for me and something that gave me so much pleasure researching, writing and publishing. I have had a lifelong affair with Avebury and felt that all that I had gleaned from researching the Complex as I saw it should be put into print as it is such a magnificient reminder of Neolithic man's great will and determination to reach their goal. I have admired so much their technical skills which must have been 'cutting edge' for their time in Great Britain and the doggedness shown by them year upon year in constructing this fantastic monument for what at times must have been under the most arduous of working conditions and with the most basic of tools. It must at times have tested the spirit, strength and belief of even the toughest and most devout and I am in complete awe of them.
I end the book with the words:- 'Nearly everything that should be there still is - the only things really missing are the people and their beliefs'.
We are so lucky that we are still able to piece it all together with what remains and still walk freely amongst it. With great care on our part let's keep it that way.

May I just mention that the book is priced at £13.99 + £1.50 p&p and available though the Lady in Waiting website http://aveburyaladyinwaiting.co.uk or directly from myself at Owl's Roost, North Hill, Launceston, Cornwall PL15 7NH. Please make cheques/PO's payable to Roy Goutte.

However, seeing that Christmas is just aound the corner, I am offering TMA members a discount leading up to the big day where the book is available for just £10 + £1.50 p&p. Payment can be made through PayPal or directly to me at the above address. If you would like the copy signed to yourself or someone else, please notify me of this when ordering. Obviously if you would like a copy for Xmas either for yourself or as a gift then please get your order off ASAP.

Kindest regards,
Roy (Sanctuary)

This is a very generous offer S, hope a few people who haven't already seen the book, take advantage of it. I omitted to mention that the book, although small enough to pop into the front pocket of a rucksack, is also full of high quality photos and illustrations. Plus a final chapter on West Kennet Long Barrow which, appropriately, is kept separate to the main 'body' of the book.

Best wishes

J
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 08, 2010, 11:20
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:

Kindest regards,
Roy (Sanctuary)

This is a very generous offer S, hope a few people who haven't already seen the book, take advantage of it. I omitted to mention that the book, although small enough to pop into the front pocket of a rucksack, is also full of high quality photos and illustrations. Plus a final chapter on West Kennet Long Barrow which, appropriately, is kept separate to the main 'body' of the book.

Best wishes

J

Thanks again June.

Yes the Avebury Complex by name 'suggests' that it is all one thing but I don't believe that to be the case, especially with regard the the WKLB which as we know is much older. I always liken the situation to someone owning a huge area of land with an old barn on it and they get granted planning permission to build over the remainder. Hundreds of houses get built around the barn and in years to come it is then seen as part of the same 'estate'.
I believe the WKLB was part of an earlier belief that was superceded by the building of certain other parts of the Complex when beliefs changed. It was witness to its creation and also the demise of that new belief...and seen a few more since no doubt!
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index