77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: What site is your 'hidden gem'
Oct 24, 2010, 12:07
goffik wrote:
That's very kind! I always assumed you were one of the "Children of the Stones"! ;)

S'funny, innit, how some people (myself included) aren't so interested on what's on our doorstep, and would happily travel some distance to visit places...

I don't mean that in a good OR bad way, I just mean - in this case - you're a stone's (pun!) throw away from a huge wealth of amazing sites - throughout Cornwall, Dartmoor, etc - yet your passion is Avebury.

Nowt wrong with that, as I say. We live about an hour from Avebury, but before the kids were born would think nothing of driving for 3 hours for a walk on Dartmoor!

G x

Well I used to live in Southampon (Shirley) then Alresford before moving to Cornwall about 15 years ago, so Stonehenge and Avebury were within reasonably easy reach. I then began a love afair with Avebury and although Cornwall is pure magic I've only recently began exploring it in depth. There will be loads of people on this forum that will know ancient Cornwall much more than I do right at this moment. But Avebury is just so special isn't it with so much to consider and attempt to tie in with each other that I find everything else just 'second best' but not in a derogatory sense in the slightest.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index