77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: What site is your 'hidden gem'
Oct 19, 2010, 12:33
goffik wrote:
The first couple that spring to mind are in Cornwall.

I haven't checked to see how many entries there are on TMA now, but at the time I seem to remember noting how surprisingly (relatively) few people had visited Pawton Quoit. Although that said, I don't think it's on any bus routes, and even by car's not the easiest, cos there's few options for parking!

A magnificent and gigantic capstone, though, and highly recommended for a visit.

Another surprise for me is the Bosporthrennis Beehive Hut. The notes I'd seen prior to our visit said how difficult it was to find, and gave directions from several angles - some of which we tried, unsuccessfully (one footpath, from the direction of the Nine Maidens of Boskednan, was completely overgrown with 8ft high ferns! Suffice to say, the path was indiscernible so we turned back!)

Our final - and successful - route was so easy it made a complete mockery of our previous attempts! Another highly recommended site. Very mysterious structure...

Another one, off the top of my head, is Rubha Charnain, on Harris. Following the directions, it's easy enough to find, and the views alone are worth it!

And while we're in the Outer Hebrides, the Polachar standing stone! Hardly "hidden" - more "hidden in plain sight"! I'm sure when we visited it there were barely any entries for it here! Worth checking out, if only for the extremely friendly, warm and cosy Pplachar Inn...

(I've not checked any of me spellin's, so forgive any typos!)

I'm sure there's plenty more, but time, once more, is against me. I might come back to this one though! :)

And I've spared you anything you do with my wells! Just so I don't get in trouble with you purists... :D

G x

This is a well written post G (quality rather than quantity, I like it) - had me reading up on Pawton Quoit - yes there is great difficulty in getting to some of Cornwall's ancient sites if you try to do it by foot and public transport, as I did earlier in the year.
It was thesweetcheat that inspired me to visit West Cornwall and I have no regrets about the absence of a car - when you have to put an effort into getting somewhere it all the more rewarding. I visited lots of stony places in the Cotswolds this summer with a friend who does have a car, it was a brilliant summer but nothing will match the joy of finding the Boscawen-un stone circle after walking from St Buryan on that bright, breezy April day.

Your post also reminded me of King's Quoit at Manorbier on the south Pembrokeshire post. On the cliff path but well camoflaged by the red sandstone cliffs - and a very much a case of the most beautiful of settings, looking out over a whitesand cove towards Ireland.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index