£2.3m for a Roman helmet

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Recap on a "helmet"!!!
Oct 12, 2010, 05:53
News hopping brought up this from Jonathon Jones..anyone who just watches the expectant faces on Antique Roadshow as to whether grannies old bits and pieces will fetch a big sum of money and then doesn't (the big prize always comes up at the end) will know where he's coming from..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2010/oct/11/hatred-antiques-roadshow-jonathan-jones
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Oct 12, 2010, 06:28
I'm slightly ashamed to say that I saw this on Sunday night over my tea, but it's the sentiment Mr Rh and I felt too. I mean it's ok to mention the monetary value, but the way they do it on the programme is it's the exciting climax of each segment. I want to hear more about how they know it's from a particular time and country but no let's get to the important bit the price. What makes me laugh is when it's something hideous (a revolting owl head inkwell this week) and the owner swears they won't sell it even though it's worth a couple of thousand (oh no I couldn't sell it). And there were indeed some of those types you mention, where it's not worth much and they struggle not to let their face fall.

Actually, nah it's the whole point of the programme, I take it back. it's about the people isn't it and the raising / dashing of their hopes on screen for us to gawp at. We can have other programmes about actual antiques :) We live in a money-obsessed culture, spose we better deal with it.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Oct 12, 2010, 08:10
I'll probably get my wrists slapped as this is way off topic ... I never watch the Antiques Road Show, its one of those claustrophobic Sunday night programmes that means the tv stays off.

Just watched a few minutes of last Sunday nights show though which comes from my home town. Great opening sequences of Swindon's railway heritage - a must for anyone who likes steam trains. Stop watching when the big blue plate appears.

Thanks Moss and Rhiannon.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Oct 12, 2010, 08:46
tjj wrote:
I'll probably get my wrists slapped as this is way off topic ... I never watch the Antiques Road Show, its one of those claustrophobic Sunday night programmes that means the tv stays off.

Just watched a few minutes of last Sunday nights show though which comes from my home town. Great opening sequences of Swindon's railway heritage - a must for anyone who likes steam trains. Stop watching when the big blue plate appears.

Thanks Moss and Rhiannon.

One of the best opening sequences I've seen tjj. I used to live alongside the 'Watercress Line' steam railway in Hampshire in open countryside...brilliant. Living history that may be off-topic now but.....
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Re: £2.3m for a Roman helmet
Oct 12, 2010, 12:43
Its cheaper at Asda :-)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 12, 2010, 13:19
I take it that it was circumscribed.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Oct 12, 2010, 13:52
Plus a little shield and a little sword!
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index