Ecclesall woods, new RA find. ?

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Re: Images
Jul 07, 2010, 19:26
Well, it looks really good, nice layout and format.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Jul 07, 2010, 20:37
Yup, that is a bit of a stunner! Brill stuff!
megadread
1202 posts

Jul 07, 2010, 21:21
I am gonna dedicate some time searching the woodland there again, i already found a rock that baffles me, circular, 12 inches in diameter and an inch or so thick with a small hole half inch deep in the centre, no idea what it is.
Problem is it's very popular with dog walkers and strange looking men amongst the bushes aren't always appreciated. : )
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

Jul 07, 2010, 21:47
cheers for all this Megadread, looks a wonderful find. I agree with Chris about the similarities to 'tutha carving in the wood - the place looks to have a unique style, a touch away from the 'usual' cup and ring tradition.

Could the circular stone possibly be the base of a quern - any sign of abrasion?
megadread
1202 posts

Edited Jul 08, 2010, 02:41
Jul 07, 2010, 23:22
Rockrich wrote:
cheers for all this Megadread, looks a wonderful find. I agree with Chris about the similarities to 'tutha carving in the wood - the place looks to have a unique style, a touch away from the 'usual' cup and ring tradition.

Could the circular stone possibly be the base of a quern - any sign of abrasion?

Haha, no worries, tis our duty (and an absolute pleasure) to look into such things innit, afaik i'm the member that lives closest to this thing, though Holy might give me a run for my money.

Just happy that the pics have been published now.
You know, the Sheffield star was given the pics when they published the article but they didn't use any of them, weird as such finds are obviously rare around these parts, money talks though dunnit.

As for the stone i found i reckon it's a modern piece of "sculpture", probably dumped from someones garden when it didn't work out as they planned.
It did remind me of the much larger one i found by Ash Cabin Flat stone circle though, i mentioned that to John Gilpin and forwarded him the pics, he's archived the file and maybe one day he'll get someone up there to have a look at it.
All in all a pleasant symbiotic affair, nice as there are hints of more things to come. ; )
Scarysas
3 posts

Re: Ecclesall woods, new RA find. ?
Aug 01, 2014, 12:23
Hi All

I know I am very late to all this, found you through doing some research.

Just to clarify that there is no cloak & dagger as such to the location of the stone that John found, it is just in a sensative area which will actually help protect the stone. The well known one does suffer from damage of people walking over it & not knowing what it is so at least the new one is safe from this. There is also another one that has been found, it has "cup marks" on it and again its in a sensative area, I am unsure if it is an old stone but an expert has looked at it. I have photos of them both & can post them if people want. There have been rumers of another stone but the people who have supposedly found it wont tell so I am not sure if it exists. I realise this info is probably not what people want to hear but at least the stones are protected from damage. I know nothing about the portable stone that has been discussed, I may need to do some digging (not literaly)There are some brillaint LIDAR plans of the woods that show the settlement, I'm not sure if they can be posted. I think it was Sheffield Uni who did the work. Again I will see what I can do. Hope this clears up a few bits.
Scarysas
3 posts

Re: BRAC
Aug 01, 2014, 12:26
megadread wrote:
I want to caress it lovingly.

I have ;o)
Scarysas
3 posts

Aug 01, 2014, 12:30
megadread wrote:
Rockrich wrote:

Haha, no worries, tis our duty (and an absolute pleasure) to look into such things innit, afaik i'm the member that lives closest to this thing, though Holy might give me a run for my money.

Just happy that the pics have been published now.
You know, the Sheffield star was given the pics when they published the article but they didn't use any of them, weird as such finds are obviously rare around these parts, money talks though dunnit.

As for the stone i found i reckon it's a modern piece of "sculpture", probably dumped from someones garden when it didn't work out as they planned.
It did remind me of the much larger one i found by Ash Cabin Flat stone circle though, i mentioned that to John Gilpin and forwarded him the pics, he's archived the file and maybe one day he'll get someone up there to have a look at it.
All in all a pleasant symbiotic affair, nice as there are hints of more things to come. ; )

There was an article in The Star with a photo of John, I thin it was only in the printed version. We probably have a copy in our archive. As for the other stone you talking about this sounds like the one I was talking about earlier. I cant quite figure it out but the expert seems to think is getting on a bit.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Aug 03, 2014, 17:53
Hi, I'd love to see the two photos. I tried to pin down whether the one found in the 80s was the same as recently rediscovered (which I came to see 3 years or so ago with Geoff). I came to the conclusion they must be the same stone, but haven't seen a photo of the 80s one.

Is the cup marked one in the wood as well?
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Aug 08, 2014, 21:20
Scarysas wrote:
Hi All

I know I am very late to all this, found you through doing some research.

Just to clarify that there is no cloak & dagger as such to the location of the stone that John found, it is just in a sensative area which will actually help protect the stone. The well known one does suffer from damage of people walking over it & not knowing what it is so at least the new one is safe from this. There is also another one that has been found, it has "cup marks" on it and again its in a sensative area, I am unsure if it is an old stone but an expert has looked at it. I have photos of them both & can post them if people want. There have been rumers of another stone but the people who have supposedly found it wont tell so I am not sure if it exists. I realise this info is probably not what people want to hear but at least the stones are protected from damage. I know nothing about the portable stone that has been discussed, I may need to do some digging (not literaly)There are some brillaint LIDAR plans of the woods that show the settlement, I'm not sure if they can be posted. I think it was Sheffield Uni who did the work. Again I will see what I can do. Hope this clears up a few bits.

I too would love to see the pics !

(Geoff formerly known as megadread)
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index