The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
harrow way

6 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
yoseph
2 posts

Re: The Harrow, or 'Hard Way'
Jul 30, 2009, 21:48
well i went over it again and im not imagining it. i think it may be a function of erosion, cos its only on gradients that suddenly the path opens up into two or three routes. I can convince myself the huge difference in height accross the profile is the result of years of feet and rainfall, trying to find a way around the trecherous clay slope, laterly i suspect motocross playground has accellerated it.

I followed a couple of lanes heading east from the end of the byway that seem to continue the line of the os marked harrow way byway, sure enough the wooded uncultivated land either side, seemed much wider than the typical earth bank at a field margin and had the same double ditch W profile.

its got to the point when im now suspicious of any and all countryside thats not flat aaaahhhhh... strangely the h way runs paralel with a roman road marked on the os as the portway, which is utterly flat and featurless, only two miles to the north. judging by the wear and tear and state of the overgrowth, the natives still prefer the hard way !

anyway ive found some nice trails and thanks for the book info, i can get hold of that hippisely chap cheers

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index