Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Wales »
Celtic Land of Dead ‘lies in North Wales.’ Uh?

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Yorkshirepedestrian
Yorkshirepedestrian
81 posts

Celtic Land of Dead ‘lies in North Wales.’ Uh?
Jan 24, 2009, 02:54
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2007/12/24/celtic-land-of-dead-lies-in-north-wales-55578-20282815/

I just found this and thought I'd post it here as I reckon some of you will know this area. The article is quite vague and seems to hint at some rather far-fetched ideas.
The idea of a burial ground for Keltic nobles from across Europe is quite interesting. A portal to the underworld is probs pushing it a little though.
Opinions?
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Re: Celtic Land of Dead 'lies in North Wales.' Uh?
Jan 24, 2009, 12:17
Yorkshirepedestrian wrote:
A portal to the underworld is probs pushing it a little though.

Well, I dunno though, looking at the map there's a place north of Ruabon Mountain called World's End!

-Chris
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 24, 2009, 15:13
Yorkshirepedestrian wrote:
A portal to the underworld is probs pushing it a little though.
Opinions?

You never driven through Blaenau Festiniog on a Saturday night, then? You expect to see Buffy running around those streets!
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Jan 24, 2009, 18:30
Rain on the slates! Lovely!
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Jan 24, 2009, 19:59
Oh no... not more perpetuation of 'The Celts'.....

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Yorkshirepedestrian
Yorkshirepedestrian
81 posts

Jan 25, 2009, 02:07
Just when I thought the Germans had finished them off, some romantic arthurian has to go and perpetuate them :)

I was interested in the idea of the mass of iron and bronze age burial chambers and how they may link with folklore and legend.
Yorkshirepedestrian
Yorkshirepedestrian
81 posts

Jan 25, 2009, 02:10
Hmm, doesn't have a very Celtic ring to it though... eek! I used the C word again :)
Stoneshifter
379 posts

Jan 25, 2009, 08:13
Well, this isn't the place to bring it up, really. If you wanted to ask whether the pair of standing stones at Goona Willy were oolitic limestone, say, then you'd get a coherent response (probably). Antiquarianism is a pseudoscience. I'd be happy if I died in Wales, though I'm not bothered where my body decomposes. And I'd love to stand on Bardsea before my mind goes completely - so far I've just gazed at it across the water. Also, if you accept how long the barow making culture was, then it becomes likely that there are enormous amounts of undiscovered barrows - and they were often placed in groups.
Yorkshirepedestrian
Yorkshirepedestrian
81 posts

Jan 25, 2009, 15:13
well, I'm hoping to visit the land of the dead before my mind returns completely.
I wondered if this would be appropriate to post here and I apologise if I broke the vibe!
And these aren't mere barrows. I thought someone here might have some more knowledge on this area.
dee
1955 posts

Jan 25, 2009, 15:56
Well, unlike some people here, im up for a far fetched mystical discussion!! But im afraid to say i know nowt about these tombs!!
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index