The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
shot to pieces

1 message
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
caergog
393 posts

shot to pieces
Apr 17, 2002, 15:16
well i just had an unsuccessful visit to an old grave yard here,in Inverness, what i was lookng for were marks on a wall which i remember from my childhod that were were aparently the result of jacobites being shot against this wall and possibly to thier graves after the battle of culloden in 1746.I met an old neighbour who had also looked for the marks a while ago he couldn't find them either and wondered if the wall had fallen down or been filled in anyway i shall try and find out.
The reason i wanted to see this was due to recent talks here about cup marks on grave slabs and crosses I wondered if the mark left behind by say a musket ball may resemble a cup mark over time. If the marks previously talked about were random could this custom of shooting people in grave yards either to graveslabs or in the near vincinity have been wide spread.Wouldn't a cross be an appropriate place to shoot a sinner?? Anyway just a thought, i really need to see if i can find pictures or some evidence of these old bullet marks here before i get too carried away!
love
carolinexx
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index