'Hidden' stone circle on an ordinance survey map

10 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: 'Hidden' stone circle on an ordinance survey m
Jan 07, 2008, 22:51
I checked out Coate SC on Megalithic Portal and the TMA link now can't wait for the next crisp weekend to follow my feet. I understand from someone I spoke to at work today that you can walk through Coate Water Country Park to a stile that comes out at the right spot on Dayhouse Lane.

Please forgive my 'novice' enthusiasm but I ran a ruler over over my map which covers Swindon to Devizes and discovered there is a straight diagonal line from the Coate SC through Barbury Castle, Monkton Down (tumuli), Avebury, Horton Down Long Barrow, and the tumuli and earth-works at Tan Hill. Don't why I found that so exciting but I've always believed that old Swindon was built on sacred ground. The Lawns in Old Town is the site of a stone-age settlement and still has underground springs.

A few years back a local man did some research linking place-names with possible Celtic origins and Swin could be a derivation of Swyn meaning sacred - and 'don' may mean 'look-out place' (hill). The area known as the Lawns (previously the grounds of the long gone Lord of the Manor) looks out towards the Marlborough Downs.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index