Monu-Mental About Prehistoric Dublin

113 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

It's here! First impressions..
Nov 06, 2006, 18:44
Hooray! A large brown padded envelope on the mat when I got home from work.

Wasn't expecting the book at all for another few days, Dublin post being so bad and all, so this was a pleasant surprise.

First impressions are of a top class production, cover is clean and no-nonsense and the book is reassuringly thick yet portable (the wider pages make it more reader friendly than Cary Meehans book IMO), flicking through it quickly reveals a fantastic towering pic of the 'The Brehons Chair', and Ballybrack dolmen somehow 'looming' in front of you, how great is it to have these places in print and accessibile at your fingertips!

The first 65 pages are introduction and discussion! This is not merely a collection of pages from megalithomania.com, though even if it were a stack of pdf's in a ring binder it would still be essential, save your printer ink and just buy the book. Instead of a terse glossary there's a full overview of each monument type and a discussion of their relationship to each other, their chronology and the landscape context. There's a wealth of clear diagrams, plans and old sketches, wonderful! One of the best features of Megalithomania.com is the list of nearby sites and this carries over to the book so you wont arrive home and discover there was a fantastic chambered tomb two fields down from where you were. The directions (for all sites) are in clear english, not like the directions of other books that are like badly translated morse code.

There are poorly written, printed and illustrated guide books out there but this ain't one of them, there's more meat on the bones than Burl's pocket guide to stone circles so as well as getting you out there you'll also have something to keep you entertained when the rain beats you back to the car also :)

The only niggle would be a larger font for 'Dublin' on the spine so I'll be able to pick it out from the row of red guides that will form on my bookshelf :)

This is a great job Tom, take a bow ;)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index