Today I stood on the Mother's belly!

1 message
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Today I stood on the Mother's belly!
Jan 13, 2002, 16:10
I went off to the 'island' of Howth today to see a much maligned portal tomb and several cairns.

The portal tomb was as I'd expected ... fallen, collapsed and sad. Only the protal stones themselves and the door still stand. The unusual thing about this one is that the capstone is completely rough and unworked in any way. At least this is unusual around Dublin.

The cairns offered a nice surprise. One flattened into the landscape the other robbed out to reveal a small kist grave at its center. As I finished studying this kist I looked up and nearly fell off the rock!! The two islands to the north, Ireland's Eye & Lambay, were directly aligned with each other ... this ain't no coincidence! A marvellous spectacle to behold on such a clear sunny day.

Anyway, to get on to the Mother and her belly! Her pregnant belly even.

As I drove towards Howth I had to pull the car over and stare. Several people walking their dogs along the sea front gave me funny looks, but I was oblivious to them. What lay in front of me was nothing short of a revelation. You see, I've been commenting all along that Howth, jutting out into the Irish Sea, seemed to be a focal point for many sites in the area and I have been pondering the possibility of the ancient sacredness of this place. What I saw today confirmed my suspicions. The peaks of Ben Of Howth, Muck Rock and a small promontory hill on the south of the island give the perfect outline of a recumbent, pregnant woman.

Is Howth the Mother expecting here in Ireland?

One thing may well stop us ever finding out is the name 'Howth'. It comes from a viking name that just means promontory and so the original name used by the ancients is lost.

Good to see ya Ma!
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index