Lunar standstill report

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1speed
98 posts

Re: Lunar standstill report
Oct 13, 2006, 13:36
Hello Victor,

I'd guess the second burst of bagpipes was as the moon set properly – from where I was stood by stone 8, it had certainly disappeared from view, and quite a few people were starting to drift away.

One thing which did become apparent (and I suppose is blindingly obvious when you come to think about it) is how the relative height of each individual observer changed what they actually saw (for example, whether the moon passed over or behind the stones in the eastern row, whether it touched the ground between the central stones or not, and exactly when it was no longer visible to them at all).

As for the times of my photos, unfortunately I never thought about checking the clock on the camera until after the event. When I finally did this two days later, I found it was 3 minutes slow compared to a clock at home which I normally regard as being accurate, so have added three minutes on to the EXIF data, and posted the "corrected" time against each photo.

However, please note that I only checked it to the whole minute - if you need the time of each shot down to seconds and tenths of seconds, I can certainly email you these, but still can’t guarantee they are exact.

And no, I haven’t actually checked either clock against my GPS or the Greenwich time signal, but have already changed the clock on the camera. D’oh!!!

All the best,

Tony
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index