National Geographic and Celts

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Comparative archaeology
Mar 11, 2006, 17:40
I can't remember the exact details now as it was years ago when I read the report. Will go trawling ...
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 11, 2006, 17:44
Certainly not cultural links , so yes "hard wired" .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Mar 11, 2006, 17:54
>I thought that the Basque language was non Indo-European.<

I thought Basque was unrelated to any European language but can't remember if it originally stems from Indo-European (that sounds like a contradiction - it probably is :-(
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Mar 11, 2006, 18:15
I think the link is that they share common root words to old words such as boat and suchlike, not that they are from the same roots generally.

This could point more to heavy trade links rather than a common cultural root. That said there are similarities in the art, dancing and music.
The Eternal
924 posts

Re: National Geographic and Celts
Mar 12, 2006, 01:08
Mr. Hamhhead,

With all respect this (and no offence meant):-
http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0603/sights_n_sounds/index.html
is amongst the biggest load of f*cking sh*te I have ever had the misfortune to listen to. Typical American bullsh*t. It's a twee American vision of the Irish "ancestors", who some Americans cling to for the reason of claiming a bit of history to their small lives.

Most people in touch with British archaeology know that the so-called Celts are not confined to the traditional boundaries of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. In fact, most English people have more "Celtic" blood than Scottish or Welsh people.
Mr.H., please do not take my rant as an assualt or your good self - I'm full of red wine, and I've therefore got the courage to speak my mind, and it's against the author of the website linked.
Cheers, and many regards,
TE.
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Mar 12, 2006, 09:03
that's where we get into speculation. without wanting to be accused of being too robert gravesy, i will however say that many of the studies on comparative mythography are quite evident in terms of, say, the Mabinogion or the Irish myths being equivalent to some of the Galician ones, as well as traditions and rituals which were alive up to fairly recently (we are talking about our grandmothers' time in an ancestral rural country like Galicia). The subject is certainly fascinating.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Mar 12, 2006, 09:04
>> (we are talking about our grandmothers' time in an ancestral rural country like Galicia).

Likewise in the west of Ireland.
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Kelts and Basques
Mar 12, 2006, 09:10
Basque studies will easily reject that claim nowadays, which was made many years ago. However, they also reject anything that does not praise their 'un-relatedness'. The connection with the Berbers is very disputed, the one with the Irish is only based on similarities in recent genetic studies. Also, the ancient Iberian languages (the ones spoken by the non-Keltic* tribes of Spain, the Iberians inhabiting the area where mass tourism today exists, ie the Mediterranean from Barcelona to Seville) are believed to have strong similarities to Basque, though many people dispute that this proves a common origin. It may be loanwards or cultural influence.

On the other hand, even the name Basque was coined by the non-Basques, ie the Keltic populations in Northern Spain that called them Bar-sques, ie the Highlanders, since large parts of them have always lived deep in the mountains.

*I have used the term Kelt ro refer to the Bronze Age migrations that moved there before the celts of La Tene or Hallstatt and to avoid confusion with the term Celt.
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Mar 12, 2006, 09:11
I believe so too.
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Mar 12, 2006, 09:18
As for the cultural links between the regions during the time of the similar rock art, I am convinced there was a trade route via the Atlantic that bypassed the whole of France. Why take the tin and the gold to the Greeks crossing all of France when you can easily ship it down to Galicia (where after all,they also traded tin with Phoenecians and Greeks) and then down the ancient trackways from north to south to the area round Seville where it would be picked up by Mediterreanean traders. Even the Tartessians in that area grew to be a wealthy and mythical kingdom. Without the metal they got from Galicians, Cornish and Irish , they would have remained in the neolithic.

Many people still dispute, mind you, that British tin ever went down this route, as galician tin was far more abundant in any case but who knows. Perhaps, like the Americans do with oil nowadays, they preferred to store it for the future.

The strong similarities in cup and rings suggests there WAS indeed cultural contacts. I am not, however, a defender of migrations even though the legends say that later on, during the early Dark Ages, Breoghan led many Britons past Brittany into Galicia,founding the kingdom of the Brigantes (well known story in Galicia), or, and not so well known but easy to find in old maps, that among many of the Keltic tribes in Northern Spain, one of them was called the Albioni.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index