The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Hare Stone moan

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
andygreyweather
94 posts

Re: Hare Stone moan
Jun 25, 2005, 18:03
Would anyone be interested in supporting a 'Shave your public Hare off' campaign?
The Hare stone is symbolic of the way many stones are allowed to grow over as a prelude to some bloke with a JCB coming in and destroying the essence of our past with a single crunch.
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 18:27
A breadknife with an eroded tip is a useful tool for keeping turfbound stones clean. It's about the right size for playing senile splits with too.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 18:50
Stick with 'dotty' Andy... if they start saying your 'pointless' you're in trouble ;-)
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 19:19
I have not had a computer for long so I tend to write the way I would write a letter or essay,where there are a number of sentences in a paragraph on the one subject.I only drop down to a different line if I start a new paragraph.Hope that helps.It is the way I was taught in school many years ago when they used to teach things like that.When I write on a computer should I do it differently?
Peace Lubin
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 20:33
>When I write on a computer should I do it differently<

Whether you write on a computer or in the sand, the objective is the same - one of clarity and accuracy of communication.
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 21:36
I must be doing ok them as people seem to be answering my comments with no problem.
Peace Lubin
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 23:05
>I must be doing ok them (sic) as people seem to be answering my comments with no problem.<

On the contrary Lubin, people are <i>responding</i> to your comments not <i>engaging</i> with you in an interesting and informative debate. But, as you say, your comments are just that (comments) and, unless I'm missing something, are for the most part of a negative nature.

I for one look forward to hearing something more positive from you; your work in Devon and Australia for example sounds fascinating.
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 23:24
The reason I posted something on this forum was to suggest, to andygreyweather, that it would be a good idea to cut back the undergroth. I didn't think that was being negative. Let's not get into an argument over the way I post it.
Peace Lubin
andygreyweather
94 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 23:27
I agree ... but sometimes a thinly veiled yarn has more impact than saying directly what you believe.

Like: to someone with a leather sofa: "This sofa stinks of death" ... this may have more impact than going off on one about why a veg lifestyle prefers to avoid the use of leather! Get them to respond with a question and eventually they're having a conversation and may eventually understand. Make them laugh and they feel more relaxed and become more likely to agree. Make your tapestry eye catching.
andygreyweather
94 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 23:36
Communication is the hardest and most simple thing in the World; I do waffle, but there's heart in my waffle ... in the same way an e-mail that says "See you later" might be read as "*** off" or simply as, well, "See you later" ....

To me the Hare Stone is my fav little stone, I remember it from childhood and feel sad to see it unloved ... yet by the same token, wouldn't it be great to walk through an overgrown Chippenham one day? The concrete jungle vs the noble megalith ... my perception is that we should appreciate our ancestors ability to 'create' in harmony with their landscape ...
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index