Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tonyh
247 posts

Re: Biblical quotations: Exodus 20:25.
Jul 21, 2009, 15:36
tjj wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Remove not the ancient landmarks, which thy father's have set .

Proverbs 22:28

Also, Mr t -

And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.

Exodus 20:25.

It is strange that you have posted the above biblical quotation as I am currently reading M. Scott Peck's 'In Search of Stones' which is an account of his trip around the UK with his wife of many years looking for megalithic sites - and assessing them in terms of 'holiness' (others might say sacredness). He uses the quality of light and the sense of peace/silence to do this ... the first site on their journey to have this affect was Carrig Samson/Long House Farm dolmen.

I started reading this library book with some reservations, thinking the author something of a 'god-botherer'; it seems that his primary affiliation was with the Quakers who look for the 'light within' ... can't see anything wrong with that.

Anyway, I mention it as the frontispiece is as follows:

"Make me an alter of earth and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your sacrifices of well-being, your sheep and your oxen; in every place where I cause My name to mentioned I will come to you and bless you. And if you make Me and alter of stones, do not build with hewn stones; for by wielding your tool upon them you have profaned them." Exodus 20: 24-25

The quotation still leaves me completly cold I'm afraid ... but an interesting coincidence as this is the first time I have encountered it.

M.Scott Peck published 'In Search of Stones' in 1995, he died in 2005.

Yep..

Pretty Dreary Stuff J

Tony
tonyh
247 posts

Re: Biblical quotations: Exodus 20:25.
Jul 21, 2009, 15:37
Yep..

Pretty Dreary Stuff J

Tony
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: O'Hartigan: Hill of Tara (with an asterisk)
Jul 22, 2009, 20:46
Littlestone wrote:
It was a famous Fortress of Wisdom.
It was enobled with warlike Chiefs.
To be viewed it was a splendid Hill
During the time of Cormac Mac Airt.
Enlightened was his train of Bards
Who kept the Records in careful Order.
And what they said was respected
By all the Teachers of each Art.

O'Hartigan (10th century bard) writing on Tara in The Book of Ballymote. Translated by O'Hart (19th century).
See also the latest news on the Tara Skyrne Valley here - http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/

Hi eds. Am I imaging it or have you added an asterisk at the beginning of each new sub-thread (a new poem on the main list in this case) to each new thread. If so that really helps sort a new sub-thread from other sub-threads and their comments - thanks.

Have been thinking of a couple of alphabetical indexes (by poem name and by poet title) but that's going to take a while. Also not sure how it would work - perhaps something like: Heaney, Seamus: A Dream of Solstice (Mar 21, 2005) and A Dream of Solstice: Heaney, Seamus (Mar 21, 2005) which would help take the reader directly to the poet and poem.
Veronica Milvus
1 posts

Re: Veronica Milvus : Arbor Low
Jul 27, 2009, 16:46
Well thank you - I guess you gakked it from greatwriting (copyright!)- I'm not there any more, but that is a poem I'd like to have published.

The poetry magazine "The Dawn Treader" has sone good stuff on myth and landscape. another poem of mine, "Bluestones" was published in the July edition, and surprise, it is about Stonehenge.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 27, 2009, 17:25
Hi Veronica.

Gakked = "Blog-speak meaning you have stolen an idea from someone else" No, I just put a link to it, which is OK presumably. But the link is broken now sadly....
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2009, 18:12
Jul 27, 2009, 18:10
Hi Veronica

Good to see you here!

Your ARBOR LOW is a lovely poem, and it would make a great addition to this thread (and here http://megalithicpoems.blogspot.com/ too if you think it appropriate). Would also love to see your Bluestones poem as the bluestones have been a topic of debate on TMA recently, and any poem about them would be of great interest.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Life on the Chalk Downs: Persephone Vandegrift
Sep 01, 2009, 19:35
It is here men dig
and dive under the earth
to dream
moths
of who will be
the Winter King

Stones are set in rings of fire
spirals gaze up at the stars...

© 2009 Persephone Vandegrift

More here - http://megalithicpoems.blogspot.com/
gjrk
370 posts

Re: Life on the Chalk Downs: Persephone Vandegrift
Sep 04, 2009, 19:45
Hi Seph (if you happen to read this). Great poem, though I'll have to think about it a bit before I understand it all. If I'm getting it right, the last few lines:

"While out on the chalk downs
eldest sons
with
swords raised
wait to see which of their fathers
will burst forth from the mound"

are particularly evocative of a different belief, or maybe even our own, of a dark night.

Gordon
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Tour to the Hebrides: James Boswell
Sep 17, 2009, 00:48
The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides by James Boswell

Monday, 30th August 1773: Inverness, Fort Augustus.

About three miles beyond Inverness, we saw, just by the road, a very complete specimen of what is called a Druid's temple. There was a double circle, one of very large, the other of smaller stones. Dr Johnson justly observed, that, 'to go and see one druidical temple is only to see that it is nothing, for there is neither art nor power in it; and seeing one is quite enough'.

Thanks to Nigel Swift for this one - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=54621
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Index
Oct 03, 2009, 18:00
Apologies for flagging this up but Blogger has recently introduced a neat little search gizmo on its blogging site. Consequently the Megalithic Poems blog at http://megalithicpoems.blogspot.com/ now has its own (internal) search engine (right of page under Links). So, while not all of the poems here on TMA are yet on the Meg Poems blog, it may be slightly easier to locate a specific poem, poet, picture (or even a place with a poem written about it) using the blog's search engine.

Once you've keyed in a search word the relevant info will appear under the Gideon Fidler image of Stonehenge at the top of the homepage.
Pages: 97 – [ Previous | 181 82 83 84 85 86 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index