The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Megalithic Poems

Pages: 97 – [ Previous | 140 41 42 43 44 45 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Shakespeare: Macbeth
Oct 31, 2006, 22:11
It could be nothing to do with standing stones I suppose. But Stratford's not so far from the Rollrights. And anyway we can always claim some kind of 'stonist' reading of the text.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 01, 2006, 08:04
Yes of course we should claim a stonist reading of the text! Its inconceivable he wouldn't have visited the Rollrights and been mighty impressed. Even if it was only on one of his deer-poaching forays.

Where else would he have got the idea that "Stones have been known to move and trees to speak"?
And who is it that say
"Macbeth shall never vanquish'd be until
Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill
Shall come against him."
Witches!

Wouldn't the Rollrights have been Witch-Central for Warwickshire in his day Rhiannon?
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Nov 01, 2006, 08:36
Witch central indeed. Haha! Shakespeare was one of us. I think there's enough material already for a 50 minute tv programme (including lots of repeated flashbacky scenes with people shouting). I'll get onto the bbc immediately.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 01, 2006, 09:12
I think there's enough material already for a 50 minute tv programme

Can you imagine a windy November evening, 3 hags and a cauldron in the centre of the stones, the pines hissing in the background...

I have a video camera. Any ladies here want to be a star on youtube?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 01, 2006, 09:27
Mr Pratchett parodied Macbeth there -
"The stone was about the same height as a tall man, and made of bluish tinted rock. It was considered intensely magical because, although there was only one of it, no-one had ever been able to count if, if it saw anyone looking at it speculatively, it shuffled behind them. It was the most self-effacing monolith ever discovered."

(I'm not keen on him. Not because of his writing but because I went to a school play in Andover once and he sat in the middle of the audience with his stupid hat on the whole time, the prat).
moss
moss
2897 posts

Nov 01, 2006, 09:39
Completely not Shakespeare, but whilst looking for a Silbury poem, guess what I came across ;)

http://aveburytour.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/Silbury/Demo.htm

That should cheer the morning up, but would still like a Silbury poem please LS...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 01, 2006, 09:49
That looks like Mr & Mrs Goff in the second pic down (just behind the guy in the white hat).

Wonder if Cursus Walker would mind his poem appearing separately here... you there CW?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 01, 2006, 10:05
That looks like Mr & Mrs Goff in the second pic down...
Yes, I think so, and in the foreground of the same picture Gordon Pipes and Steve Gray.
Also elsewhere are a couple of Swiftlets, there on suffrance - and their friend, there in a state of complete ignorance of what was going on, who uttered the immortal lines "what's needed here is a team of psychiatrists...."
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Nov 01, 2006, 12:03
nigelswift wrote:
littlestone wrote:
That looks like Mr & Mrs Goff in the second pic down...

Yes, I think so, and in the foreground of the same picture Gordon Pipes and Steve Gray.
Also elsewhere are a couple of Swiftlets, there on suffrance - and their friend, there in a state of complete ignorance of what was going on, who uttered the immortal lines "what's needed here is a team of psychiatrists...."

Aye! That's us alright! :o)

I did enjoy that day. Lovely bunch of people...

G x
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 03, 2006, 15:58
Can you imagine a windy November evening, 3 hags and a cauldron in the centre of the stones, the pines hissing in the background...

I've made a start on the opening scene http://megalithicpoems.blogspot.com/ You can direct, but bring your own chair ;-) I'll cast the actors. The hags won't be real hags, just made up ones, and the cauldron will be brimming with hot punch not full of newts and frogs legs.

When do we start?
Pages: 97 – [ Previous | 140 41 42 43 44 45 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index